• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Charging $2 to Activate 802.11N-capable Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
Most of us know that the wireless cards in more recent Macs are 801.11G, but how many knew that later models contain dormant 802.11N cards?

Now that apple has the Airport Exteme and AppleTV coming out, they're set to offer a $1.99 activation service for our N-capable computers.

Read up on it at CNET (and other places).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
how many knew that later models contain dormant 802.11N cards?
Quite a few people did actually. There were quite a few posts and threads here on the forum about it.
Now as far as why Apple is doing this, they have to according to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
Fine, I don't see any issue with that. Should they have simply included and acclimated that charge into the cost of the machine? I would think so.
The only reason I can think of as to why they hadn't, and the reason why they are charging it seperately after the fact is because not all users will upgrade to or ever need to use the software. Still, that is a fairly weak reason.
Considering the attention Apple got from the media and their dealings with the SEC as of late, it is a little understandable that Apple would want to dispell rumors and show that they are willing to "play by the rules".
I just think they should have had the foresight to simply include this charge with the purchase price instead of trying to recoup the money later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Quite a few people did actually. There were quite a few posts and threads here on the forum about it.
Now as far as why Apple is doing this, they have to according to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
Fine, I don't see any issue with that. Should they have simply included and acclimated that charge into the cost of the machine? I would think so.
The only reason I can think of as to why they hadn't, and the reason why they are charging it seperately after the fact is because not all users will upgrade to or ever need to use the software. Still, that is a fairly weak reason.
Considering the attention Apple got from the media and their dealings with the SEC as of late, it is a little understandable that Apple would want to dispell rumors and show that they are willing to "play by the rules".
I just think they should have had the foresight to simply include this charge with the purchase price instead of trying to recoup the money later.

Well they could have said they were N cards but then you would have tons of people hacking around trying to enable it...which there still probably were, but they wanted to keep it quiet until they had out the rest of their N equipment

how do you find out if your mac can do this?

It is only the latest revision of iMac, MBP, and MB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
I hope apple sells an apple wireless N upgrade.... I want my ibook to be able to have the faster AP card, but unfortunatly, I doubt that will ever happen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Nevermind. A Should have RTFA. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I stand corrected.
As it turns out, there really is no reason or rule that they must charge anything:
article said:
The company (Apple) on Thursday confirmed that it will charge users a small fee to enable the new, faster 802.11n wireless technology in its previously shipped Core 2 Duo-based Macs, saying that the charges were required to stay in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (a.k.a, GAAP). "GAAP doesn't require you to charge squat," says Lynn Turner, managing director of research at Glass Lewis & Co. and a former chief accountant of the Securities and Exchange Commission

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/01/19/apples.80211n.fee.redux/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
How long until apple sells the card as an upgrade for the older model macbook pros

Reaction score
So when can I buy the "upgrade", will it be after appple TV ships? Also the new 802.11n is compatible with the previous 801.11G right? preety dumb question, wi-fi noob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
i cant believe people got upset over a 2 dollar charge to unlock the card... it s 2 dollars.

Those are the same people that would have complained if it wasnt hidden in the computer and had to buy it for $99. They should be thrilled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Those are the same people that would have complained if it wasnt hidden in the computer and had to buy it for $99. They should be thrilled.

I think it quite understandable. To pay to unlock the function of hardware you already own seems a little much. Apple, of course, was working on the new drivers anyways, so it's not like they spent any extra time or money on the patch then they would have anyways. The $2 fee is just pure profit on their part, and their excuse about needing to do it because of Sarbanes-Oxley has turned out to be just so much BS, as posted above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.