Gmail and Mail issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 CD Macbook, 1GB; 2.16 C2D iMac 20", 2GB
I have an Imac and recently got a macbook as well.

How do I get emails that mail imported from my gmail account to ALSO show up on the macbook and vice versa?

Whenever I recieve mails on the macbook they're on the macbooks mail app, but they don't show up on the Imac and vice versa...

(I don't have "remove copy from server after retrieving message" checked)

(Quick safari question as well, I'd like safari to show my homepage (google.com) whenever I open a new tab instead of a blank page - how do i do this?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For your Safari question, just to to the Safari item on your menu bar, select Preferences and go to the "General" table. You can fill in a URL for your homepage there, or tell it to use the current one.

OP
NovaRealta
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for you reply.

It will only open new windows like this, if i open a new tab its always blank. Same with Firefox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I believe that this is normal and expected behavior. When you start Safari, it goes to your home page. However, once running, if you open a new tab, that tab is blank until you tell it where to go (select a book mark or type in a URL). I think that this is how it is supposed to work. Certainly mine has always worked that way.

Reaction score
How do I get emails that mail imported from my gmail account to ALSO show up on the macbook and vice versa?

Adding "recent" in front of your account name in your mail app will fix this. Your account name will have to be entered: "recent:[email protected]".
In the Google group for gmail you can find the technical explanation.

Too bad Gmail doesn't offer IMAP. A bit off topic, but does anybody know about a free mail service (a la Gmail) that offers IMAP?

Cheers
Klaus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
FastMail offers IMAP and so does AOL free mail. But with AOL you won't get smart folders or messge threading if those are important to you. You can go to http://email.about.com/cs/freemailreviews and read about 10 most popular for Mac.

OP
NovaRealta
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adding "recent" in front of your account name in your mail app will fix this. Your account name will have to be entered: "recent:[email protected]".
In the Google group for gmail you can find the technical explanation.

Too bad Gmail doesn't offer IMAP. A bit off topic, but does anybody know about a free mail service (a la Gmail) that offers IMAP?

Cheers
Klaus
Hmmm, now it retrieves all of the my sent messages into the Inbox?

OP
NovaRealta
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe that this is normal and expected behavior. When you start Safari, it goes to your home page. However, once running, if you open a new tab, that tab is blank until you tell it where to go (select a book mark or type in a URL). I think that this is how it is supposed to work. Certainly mine has always worked that way.
I thought there might be a way to change this, since i find it very inconvienient. I'd rather have Safari/Firefox treat the tabs like windows and go to my homepage right away...

OP
NovaRealta
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quick safari question as well, I'd like safari to show my homepage (google.com) whenever I open a new tab instead of a blank page - how do i do this?

I now use Camino browser - "Mozilla Power, Mac Style", which allows me to do this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.