Stop smoking to buy a MacPro

Reaction score
I dont know if you remember but about 1.5 years ago I gave up smoking. The idea was to quit smoking and spend the the money on a G5

Well I successfully quit for a whole year, then I restarted again and then Apple dumped the G5 and bought out the MacPro which scuppered all my plans.

I am now thinking of stopping smoking again for a second time, saving £5.00 a day and putting this towards a MacPro which I would purchase in December.

Now this is a long time to save, so I am hoping this will be worth it.

Do any of you own a MacPro, If so whats its like?

And the usual questions do Adobe, Dreamweaver run faster on a MacPro than they would to an equivelant spec PC? Have they bought out versions that use the new Intel Processor?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
either way you cut it, it's a good idea to quit.
if this is your carrot, then great!

and you will have some time to really figure out what you want, and what the models will be capable of once leopard and any new hardware come out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
That would mean a total of 2 and a half years before buying your Mac.

Are you sure you really want one?

And why do you want the MacPro? Would a cheaper iMac do the job?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes I do really really want one. If I am saving for something, I might as well save for something thats worth the wait.

You tell me. Would do the same job cheaper? Can you add more memory to and iMac if need be?

Reaction score
Congratulations on quiting the evil weed. Maybe now you will live long enough to enjoy the new Mac Pro you can get with the money saved... I know when the wife and i finally quit it wasn't all that long before we saved enough money to buy a new GoldWing motorcycle and take a trip around the country.

I have an early model Mac Pro, and i love it. I can just imagine what a new Mac Pro with the new OS will be like next December. You gona like it for sure. More and more programs are coming out with versions for the Pro so by then you should have a heck of a choice.

As for the new iMacs, that 24" model is one beautiful machine and yes the ram can be upgraded, but not near as much as you can upgrade the Mac Pro. Mine has 4 gigs of ram and 4 250 gig hard drives. And even the graphics card it comes with does a great job, but you can also upgrade that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is an excellent idea, good for your physical health and good for your computing health.

BTW, you can still get that G5 if you want it. Refurb'd models at somewhat lower prices are availalable at the Apple site. Generally, really good deals.

Congratulations! Stick with it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBookPro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz 2 GB RAM, 120GB HD
They say the average smoker quits four to fie times before they are successful... By the end of your fourth or fifth quit maybe you'll have a couple of your fave computers.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
Just goes to show how much money smoking really costs, not like people who smoke bother me but still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yes I do really really want one. If I am saving for something, I might as well save for something thats worth the wait.

You tell me. Would do the same job cheaper? Can you add more memory to and iMac if need be?

If you're saving, then fair enough, but if you've got most of the money now, why torture yourself for 2 1/2 years?! You don't have to wait for Santa to bring one for Christmas!

The iMac can take 3gigs of RAM. You might need a Mac Pro if you're a professional image editor, but I was just thinking you could save a few months of waiting by going for a more than adequate iMac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah I would certainly look at the Imac. It looks quite neat.

By the time I get either the Imac or MacPro Adobe should have versions of Photoshop and Deamweaver so it should will be worth switching for this reason alone.

I have used Ubuntu Linux in the past as my primary desktop but for me it still misses loads of things.

It's a great os.

I am using Windows XP at the moment, it does the job but I want to get away from M$ one day and Apple is a good landing point.

My Ubuntu box is currently being used a test server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Save your money, but I agree...over 2 years is a long time to wait. You must have a lot of will power! But either way you win, you'll get the computer you want and you'll be much healthier to boot!

Both my parents died from smoking related diseases. You're plan is great one! Good Luck...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Quitting rocks. Never thought I would say that. I am over two months smoke free and on the 15th of every month I drop 300 bones into a savings account. Nest year I will pay for two conferences (one in ontario canada and one in ontario california) plus if I decide I want the iphone, (I think it is stupid, but I will probably buy one) I can buy it. I spent more than 3600$ a year on smoking.

bone

OP
A
Reaction score
I think its important to have a goal at the end, and what better way than to get a top of the range MacPro. This way you can see what quitting has enabled you to buy.

Like I said in my earlier post, my last plans got ruined becuase I started smoking again, and then Mac swapped over to Intel Chips.

I hope by next Decemeber software like Dreamweaver and Photoshop is bought out for the Intel Processor.

Using Windows is just going to get worse. Soon you want even be able to open a plain text document without you having to download a licence for it, just incase its not from a trusted source. Its pathetic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The great thing about your plan, aside from the wonderful health benefits of stopping smoking, is that as good as the Mac Pro is now, it will be that much better by the time you are ready to buy it. Think Octal (8) cores by then (at least), Leopard (at least) and likely 1 TB drives standard. It will be quite a machine! Well worth waiting for. And yes, like the others, I admire your will power. Stick with it, it is a good plan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.