20" LCD Flat Panel for Mac

G

geppert

I am thinking of replacing my 19" CRT with a flat panel.

I'm looking at 20" minimum and wondering what some of the best choices might be ... or if the Apple 20" is the best way to go?

I do some gaming (Stock G5 D2G with Radeon 9600) but mostly regular computer stuff. No high end photo imaging requirements.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The apple is probably the most expensive you will find but you should be able to just pick up any flat panel and get an ADV -> DVI adapter (It may have come with the G5 I am not sure) and just use that

OP
J

JCLW

Anyone have any experience with the 20" or 23" cinema displays? How is the response time/ghosting?

I was looking at the Samsung 213T or Viewsonic VP201b. The Viewsonic is similar to the Dell 2001fp (16ms response).

I'd like a 16:10 screen, but I don't know if I can justify the price.

It's for an x86 box, right now with an 8500 but that will probably be replaced with a 9800 soon.

OP
C

Chamorro

The Cinema displays are AWESOME! They're basically as good as LCD displays get. Other mfrs. such as Sony are starting to use the same panels, w/ different packaging and image adjustability, but the Apples are just great on Macs

OP
W

WilliS

after buying my 17inch from apple, i will never buy any other monitor.... if i were to upgrade, i would get the 20 or 23 inch they have. its about as good as they get...

although, to use a VGA/DVI port, you need to jump through some hoops... i baught a $100 adapter to hook up my ADC 17inch out to a DVI video card on my pc...

luckily the mac i own has a dvi / adc output... so i wouldnt need an adapter just to run the computer it was made for

OP
B

bluemungous

Well, I have a 23" and a 17" Apple on my G5 Dual. I agree - they are awesome. Ghosting? What's that? Even the non-standard resolutions work well.

jeez, the 23" is so big I can slide my keyboard under it if I need extra desk space for writing.

So it's more money - to me saying other monitors are cheaper is a bit like saying PCs are cheaper than Macs....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.