Mac Pro 2gig processor worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Hey everyone. I'm looking into getting a Mac Pro for video editing. I have a copy of Final Cut Studio 5.1 Academic version, and I do short films for school, church, and just for fun.
I was toying around with the configurations on Apple's website and was wondering if dropping the processor speed from stock 2.66 gigs to 2gigs is a good idea. I was also wondering if getting multiple Nvidia 7300's is better than getting a single ati x1900xt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would advise against dropping the speed, particularly given what you are planning to do with it. Film editing is pretty demanding. You will want all the umphhh you can get.

As for the two nVidia's, I just don't know. I always assumed that this was only of value for gamers, but for the same reasons, it might apply to video editing. Opinions from other readers?

OP
leecho7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
Ok, thanks for the advice. It would be foolish of me to downgrade my CPU. With the memory or the graphics card, I can always upgrade those later on when the finances roll in. But the CPU is not unless I want to void my warranty and risk damaging my system.
Oh yeah, this will also be my main computer once I sell my pc. So I will also be running games on it as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
multiple gpu's will only allow you to use more monitors in OSX.

Reaction score
I would say u should get the x1900, especially since you also want to play games. This is a much better card and will speed things up. Especially rendering.
If you have more than one monitor, the x1900 can handle 2, but if you have 3, or if you dont want to detract the performance of the x1900 you could get a 7300 for another slot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
I would say u should get the x1900, especially since you also want to play games. This is a much better card and will speed things up. Especially rendering.
If you have more than one monitor, the x1900 can handle 2, but if you have 3, or if you dont want to detract the performance of the x1900 you could get a 7300 for another slot.

im sure this will apply to macs as well as PCs (as i know alot more about PCs then i do macs here is suggestion) dont mix makes for graphic cards, i think it will cause conflicts.

the 7300 nvidia card is pretty poor, in my opinion. The ATi (although i have never been a big fan of ATi) will be the better option to go for. I also do film editing as well as animation and im running the 2.66ghz mac pro with the ATi

If you are looking to save money downgrade the hard drive and buy a 2nd one if you need the space

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.