Infractions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The bigger issue is that the mods are not able to read every single post here each day, there are just way too many. If you see a post with what you believe is inappropriate language, use the report this post function.

You're right, not everything will be caught, but we can try our best.

Reaction score
I don't doubt that the moderators have a time-consuming task that gets more criticism than thanks.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Way to go mods, keep the place clean.

edit:woo 100th post!

M

MacHeadCase

I've been a mod in another Mac forum and it's such a thankless job, no matter what you do. So I know how these guys in the Mac-Forums staff feel.

Just a word of encouragement once in a while doesn't hurt either! And after being a member in many Mac forums, I've seen my fair share of shabby moderating, believe me. I find you guys do a very good job. So a big French Bravo! to you all!
icon14.gif

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, i used to admin a really large gran turismo forum. lots more kids, and non-computer type people, a lot with little to no "netiquette". we also let a lot more stuff slide, which actually made for a really dangerous and argument filled grey area. it was really intense.

for those who don't think of it this way, you really need to remember, mods and admins on forums like these are usually doing this for no money and taking time out of their lives just beacuse they enjoy the theme/topic of the forum. try to treat them with the same respect and gratitude you'd give to someone who was letting you hang out and have fun in their home.

Reaction score
Oh you guys would hate my forums...we don't sensor anything and just let people be themselves...bad langusge and all. Meh -- doesn't bother me in the slightest. And, I don't even need a single moderator. I really don't find it much of a problem. Over regulation in my view is a very bad thing. But then my forums are sports forums and 'ya know..boys will be boys. ::wink::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
mmmmmm......

There may also be an age issue here, I guess; perhaps it's the younger posters who are using these words as they would in their everyday language. And that, my friends, is all to do with the slippery slope we're already half way down in terms of standards of literacy, diction, politeness, respect... I'll stop – that's a whole different forum...

I just had to comment on this. Being in the 'younger poster' group, at the tender age of 19, I was a little offended. Saying that because I am young, I swear, and therefore have problems in literacy, politeness and respect? I just think that swearing has changed, many of my professors swear all the time during lectures, even my highschool teachers and administrators, and i went to a very nice highschool. I'm extreamly respectful and polite in all areas of my life... Just because I throw in a swear word when I'm telling a story to my friends doesn't make me less articulate, or rude.
At a weekly meeting i attend, an much older man had a problem with the swearing that was going on, said he didn't want to swear in front of ladies. Everyone said, don't worry about it, none of the ladies care. and we didn't.

But, i do agree that there is no reason for that language here- and it does offend people. I just had to put in my two cents.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Yeah, it can offend people.

I think the topic has been covered.

Reaction score
ambivalent – I didn't mean to offend you – I was not referring to you directly, or people like you – the fact that you're well educated and intelligent is apparent in your post. What I mean is that although this forum is a generally friendly place in which we share a common interest, we are all complete strangers, and the language we use should reflect that.

We unconsciously alter the language we use in everyday life depending on who we're addressing anyway: most of us would not use the same language when talking to our parents or kids than when talking to our friends. This is how I think this forum should be approached.

In order to avoid further offence I'll edit my previous post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Ah yes, no problem. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I say kudos to the Mod's. I'm ocassionally on a Palm OS site that is completely out of control. One guy made the site just plain miserable to visit, finally he was banned. I'm thankful this site is monitored the way it is. It is one of the most helpful and friendly sites I have been on, thanks for keeping it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
While I understand the reasoning behind the use of the filters, and things like COPA which plays a role here, I often feel that word censorship is taken to far. The use of the term "gay" or "queer" can offend people, but so what? If you're going to wander about the world worrying about being offended you're going to have a miserable life. Everyone gets labeled, everyone gets stereotyped eventually and there is no way to escape it. Either learn to deal with it and move on or have a crappy life, the choice is yours.

That being said, I also agree with the statement about being courteous, polite and being able to get your point across without stooping to the level of profanity.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't think anyone is saying "gay" or "queer" are bad words. if i say, in context, "my friend jane who's gay blah, blah, blah", that's normal usage.

also if you use queer in it's real form, which no one uses anymore (meaning strange), or as a gay pride thing, it's normal usage. i'm sure that's why they're not censored.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Everyone gets labeled, everyone gets stereotyped eventually and there is no way to escape it. Either learn to deal with it and move on or have a crappy life, the choice is yours.

Even if that is the case, it doesn't mean we need to allow it here.

There are many, many, many places in the physical world where foul language, abusive slurs, and inappropriate talk are not tolerated. I'm often dumbfounded why people are shocked we might enforce the same level of decorum here.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I opened up my profile this morning(checking for rep) and I noticed it said 0 points for infractions and N/A on the thread. I checked the thread, and SchwebPatrol™ and friends must of deleted it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I opened up my profile this morning(checking for rep) and I noticed it said 0 points for infractions and N/A on the thread. I checked the thread, and SchwebPatrol™ and friends must of deleted it.
certain amounts of points expire after certain periods of time depending on severity

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Thanks to everyone who added their input here, but I think that this thread has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.