iChat Video Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GhZ, Black
I have a MacBook (black, 2 GHz, 1 gig ram) and am connected via a Linksys wireless router. Everything runs smooth as silk, but I had some troubles the other night using the video conference option in iChat.

I wanted to talk with my family on the East Coast (I live in Oakland), and we kept running into some serious delays. If we disconnected and connected up again, it would run perfectly. But after about 15 seconds or so of use, things would start to get pretty choppy, and eventually our signal would get delayed by a good 20 seconds or so.

They are using AIM on a PC, so I don't know if that created an issue. I did notice that if they lowered the quality on their feed, things ran a bit smoother. Is there a way to lower the quality of my transmission to help keep things running? Or is the router holding things up? Is there anything I can try to improve the signal? A different program than iChat perhaps?

Thanks for the advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would recommend Skype for this, if you are calling other folks who aren't themselves on Macs. There is both a Mac and a PC client. I have used Skype to video call with family in Canada, where they are on a PC. It has worked remarkably well. Very low latency, excellent audio and video quality. I would strongly recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.33GHz, 100GB@7200rpm
Can iChat make a 4 ppl video conference even if the other involved are using MSN on a PC ?

OP
crazyivan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GhZ, Black
Thanks for the advice, mac57.
I'm going to download Skype when I get home tonight and give it a whirl.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Oh, and one other thing. It is free. As long as you are calling between two Skype equipped computers, there is no charge. So, when you install, if you are greeted with screens presenting monthly (or other) plan options, don't take them up on it - it is not needed. Skype is standout value for computer to computer calling. I am very impressed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.