is there a way to keep it on when you close the lid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I wouldn't suggest it..ESPECIALLY while it's plugged in

The computer is designed to completely go into sleep mode when the lid is closed..The HD shuts down in such a way that if any jostling/dropping happens, the HD will be alot less damaged/ not damaged at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
by the way, this kills the life of your laptop becasue it forces it to run and it does not allow for proper cooling, ventalation, and the components are running more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
by the way, this kills the life of your laptop becasue it forces it to run and it does not allow for proper cooling, ventalation, and the components are running more.

I do not believe that that is true. The situation that he is proposing is no different than if I close my lid and then plug an external monitor in. The macbook is clearly capable of running with proper ventilation since they would have not allowed this functionality to exist.

Also, when you think about it, the more that any personal computer is turned on and off, the more it's metallic components are degraded. Repeating the rapid temperature increase caused by turning a machine on slowly (even if minutely) degrades the material. Think about it, you take a beam of steel and heat it to a high temperature. When it cools it will not be as strong as it was before. Therefore, I am comfortable with having all of my machines remain on as much as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I agree with Walmart connect.

The programme noted above is perfect especially if you are playing music or downloding large files over a long period of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Don't use this app on iBooks, they actually did use the keyboard as ventilation space.

But it's perfectly safe on Powerbooks, Macbooks and Macbook Pro's - Apple designed these to be able to run with the lid shut.

It might get a little warmer than usual, but generally speaking, it should be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.