Safari quitting unexpectedly all the time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.9Ghz iMAC G5 with isight, 1.5Gb ram, 320GB ext. hdd, EyeTV
Every time i open safari it will quit after the web page is fully loaded. Is this a problem with safari or could another program be causing it to quit. I was having problems with losing my settings but it seemed to fix itself after file vault cleared the free space on the HD.

Any ideas for a quick fix, should i download another web browser?

M

MacHeadCase

Try trashing your Safari preference file. The path:

Macintosh HD ---> Users ---> *your user account* ---> Library ---> Preferences ---> com.apple.Safari.plist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Check whether you have any incompatible plug-ins installed (eg. Acidsearch, SIMBL bundle) in your ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins folder. Just remove them and see whether it will solve your problem. You can also delete the "com.apple.Safari.plist" in ~/Library/Preferences folder (You should start the Safari only after deleting the file).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.9Ghz iMAC G5 with isight, 1.5Gb ram, 320GB ext. hdd, EyeTV
I deleted the plist file, seems to have done the job. Cheers guys

Reaction score
Omg

I don't know what I did. I tried to fix my problem with safari quitting unexpected all the time, and I lost tons of items, including my desktop prefs, my mail prefs were gone and I had to re-enter my mail settings, my serial numbers and application settings were gone on a couple of different programs, my menu bar was completely stock, it was almost like the whole computer was back to the stock settings. I still had all my apps and everything, but I had to reconfigure most of them... I have no idea how that happened. I must have done something wrong.

It seems to be getting back to normal now, but just wanted to let you all know how easy it is to screw things up if you're not paying attention to what you're doing.

Bad Doug! Bad!
:Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't know what I did. I tried to fix my problem with safari quitting unexpected all the time, and I lost tons of items, including my desktop prefs, my mail prefs were gone and I had to re-enter my mail settings, my serial numbers and application settings were gone on a couple of different programs, my menu bar was completely stock, it was almost like the whole computer was back to the stock settings. I still had all my apps and everything, but I had to reconfigure most of them... I have no idea how that happened. I must have done something wrong.

It seems to be getting back to normal now, but just wanted to let you all know how easy it is to screw things up if you're not paying attention to what you're doing.

Bad Doug! Bad!
:Oops:
That sounds as though you deleted the entire preferences folder, instead of just Safari's prefs...

Reaction score
Try trashing your Safari preference file. The path:

Macintosh HD ---> Users ---> *your user account* ---> Library ---> Preferences ---> com.apple.Safari.plist

Hi,

I'm having the same little problem with safari quitting but not all the time,My question is when deleting this file will it cause other problems or is it safe?

Thanks for any help

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Safe - as long as you only delete that one file - not the whole preferences folder like one of them above.

It is safe removing a plist file. A new one is created the next time you open the app. All it does is reset the preferences for that app back to default.

You can always not empty the trash until you try it. That way you can put the original one back in place if you want.

Reaction score
Great,Thanks for the reply hope it works,Do you know why this happens in the first place?

Reaction score
Safe - as long as you only delete that one file - not the whole preferences folder like one of them above.

It is safe removing a plist file. A new one is created the next time you open the app. All it does is reset the preferences for that app back to default.

You can always not empty the trash until you try it. That way you can put the original one back in place if you want.

It did exactly what you said thanks:)

Reaction score
Hi,

i have one more question if you can help.
i have safari and firefox and firefox loads quicker than safari it never did this when the computer was new.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What do you mean by "Firefox loads"?
Opening the program when it's not running? Loading a web page?

If the latter, you're comparing the same page, right?

Reaction score
Sorry,I ment when you first open the browser it loads the web page slower than the other!!
And comparing the same web page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, when you open the browser, it goes to your homepage. I'm assuming that's the one that's loading slower on Safari. So, compare some other web sites. Do they all load slower on Safari?

If not, maybe something changed on your homepage that Safari doesn't handle as well as Firefox.

Reaction score
im having the same problem with safari shutting down. tried the above suggestions with no luck. Please help. Thankyou.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.