Wireless Mighty Mouse is driving me nuts!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel C2D 2Ghz Macbook; iPhone; 2G iPod Shuffle; 1G 2GB iPod Nano; 3G 10Gb iPod
Hi Everyone

Please be gentle its my first time on board. I've been lurking since I picked my new Macbook up just before Christmas and have to say what an excellent place this is and that switching back to the Mac was the best thing I've done :cool:

Well.... there is one slight problem... my wireless mighty mouse :(

I've searched the board and read others' issues that they've have with the wee beastie but haven't been able to find an answer to why mine seems to have a mind of its own. Basically, one moment it won't scroll, the next it won't click but will scroll, then it will jump to the dashboard or expose all my open windows, not that I've asked it too. Its all over the place. I've changed the batteries, I've re-set the thing up but it appears to not be playing ball with me. I think its back to the Apple Store at the weekend, but I really like the way it works and don't particularly want to switch.

Any ideas about why it wants to play about and not get on with any work or is a replacement one the better way to go?

Sorry about the rambling post :)

Cheers

Lou

Reaction score
G'day Louby Lou and welcome to Mac-Forums.

Let me tell you about my little experience with my wired Mighty Mouse today.

It wouldn't scroll down. Normally, to fix this, I press Control and then roll the tiny ball up and down fast like. This zooms in and out of the Desktop.

Well this usually fixes the scrolling problem except today ... it zoomed right in and wouldn't zoom out for the life of it. I was stuck in ultra zoom mode and it wasn't funny ...haha

I had to restart my iMac and this fixed it. I've had more than my fair share of mouse antics. I also get the mouse cursor zooming all over the place like a firework on Guy Fawkes night! This can be fixed by using a nice smooth mouse-pad. That worked in my case anyway.

If it bugs you big-time then just get a better mouse, I'm pretty sure just about any USB mouse would work with your Mac.

Here's Apple's Official blurb on maintaining your Mighty Mouse.

OP
Louby Lou
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Marty

Thanks for the welcome and your reply, I'll keep the scrolling tip in mind for when it decides that it doesn't like to scroll next. And cheers for the Apple link, I'll clean the mouse too just in case its a bit of fluff or something that's bothering it. Its sort of behaving its self at the moment since it knows I've told the world about its attitude... ha ha :) Its having a minor 'I'm not going to play' blip every once in a while but besides that its behaving... sort of.

I'm up to Birmingham where our Apple Store is on Saturday so will drop in with the mouse and the MB and see what they say. Oh and on top of that the wireless keyboard has dropped out and although it can be seen, it won't establish a new connection, tried to repair it but it won't do it. ** hum not a good bluetooth day for me today :)

Cheers

Lou

Reaction score
Best advice from most that I have read is: Get rid of it.

For every positive experience with the might mouse there seems to be 4-5 unpleasant experiences.

I got one for Christmas and returned it for credit unopened after weighing the pros and cons from all the threads in this forum. Just my 2¢.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I have to agree with the above. Get a different mouse. I had the wired that came with my iMac and while it worked pretty well for a month or two, it became almost unusable. The side buttons would always activate without trying, and the scrollball was finnicky. I finally decided to get a wireless desktop by Microsoft and my experience is much better now. See? Apple and MS can live side by side!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram
Yeah, Microsoft actually makes pretty good peripherals.

OP
Louby Lou
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all the replies. Both the mouse and the keyboard are boxed back up and I'll be dropping into the Apple Store over the weekend to see if they can sort them out; if not I'll be returning them and looking at other wireless sets.

Cheers

Lou

OP
Louby Lou
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quick update...

Popped into the Apple Store this morning to have my mouse and keyboard checked over. Typically they both decided that they would work perfectly fine for the guy there. However, he decided to be on the safe side to completely remove them from my preferences and to re-pair them. So they both appear to be working fine at the moment. So if anyone has problems with things not working connectivitywise it appears that it is a case of removing them and repairing them.

As an aside, he did say that problems pairing the keyboard with the Macbook are typically because people forget to hit the enter key after they have tapped in the pairing code.

HTH

Lou

Reaction score
I just ordered aq new Kemsington Studio Mouse. I actually wore the plastic scroll pad out (it's not a ball) but it took 4 years.

Anyway they have improved it. Loaded the software, got an update and was up and running in 20 seconds. Thing works great. Apple can put their might mouse where the sun don't shine if you get Bones' drift.

M

MacHeadCase

Aw CB... I got a wireless Mighty Mouse last September and it works fine. Maybe you just got a faulty one.

I know, I know, there's a lot of talk on the forums that the MM is iffy but what you read on forums is not the true satisfaction ratio of a product, it's usually people having problems, 95% of the success stories don't post, why would they? Everything is working.

Like for instance if you drop by Apple Discussions you could think all Macs are lame computers. You won't see too many members come in and proclaim their satisfaction in there.

So I like the Mighty Mouse and I never thought I would like it either! I read the same stuff you did and thought this wasn't for me. Then when I got this new iMac G5, it came with a Mighty Mouse (the corded [right word?] version). I was tired of trying to make my MX1000 I had at the time to work without jumping all over the bloody screen so I gave it a shot and, once I got used to the different ergonomics, I loved it.

So I decided to buy the wireless one (I have built-in BLuetooth in the iMac) and gave the corded MM to my partner for use on a G4 iBook. We are both happy with our respective MMs.
icon10.gif

Reaction score
Well MHC I got one for Christmas and returned it unopened. I'm just not willing to try it after all the negative press it has received not only here but all over. It's obviously flawed (to some degree), i.e. cleaning the scroll ball every other week, touchy buttons etc. My Studio Mouse works great. I just got a new one and it's even better .

So, if it ain't broke don't fix it is my attitude. Hey everybody is happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I got a mighty mouse with my iMac. At first I loved it. Scroll wheel was the best thing ever. But then something happened. Scrolling would only work part. Then I saw Apple's thing about cleaning it. That worked…for about a day. As much as I loved the features of the MM, I wasn't about to clean it 5-6 times a week to use.

OP
Louby Lou
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Further Update...

After my trip to the Apple Store, the MM worked perfectly again until this week when it decided it wasn't going to play nicely again! Not wishing to make the 200 mile round trip, I contacted the online Apple Store UK who were extremely helpful and seemed to understand my problem. Anyway, they said they would ship a brand new MM and when I asked where I should send the faulty one back too, the lady said not to worry and keep hold of it. So now I'll have 2 MMs - 1 brand new one (fingers crossed will work) and 1 slightly iffy one I can keep as a backup.

I'm really impressed with the level of service I received from Apple UK, they were extremely helpful, apologetic and nothing was too much trouble. And to top it off, I spoke to them this afternoon about 2.00pm and it is scheduled to be delivered first thing tomorrow morning!

Congratulations Apple UK on another satisfied customer!

I know a lot of people don't rate the MM, but I loved it from the moment I started to use it. I just hope the new one doesn't disappoint.

:dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook; 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive
i may do that with mine then had the same problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I'm with CrossBones on this. The MM is the weakest part of the whole Mac setup. You will be happier long run if you get something else. Logitech makes some nice mice, as does (gasp) Microsoft... I may not like their software, but I have to admit that they make (or at least used to make) pretty good mice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.