WEP Password Refused?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 15" 2.8GHz, 4GB, 320GB
When I connect to my wireless home network, it requires my WEP Password. When I enter it, an error message comes up stating "there was an error joining the wireless network" I know that the password its correct and when I disable security, I can connect with no problem. Anyone have any ideas on this??

Thanks, Ken

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I'm not an Airport/Wireless router expert, but when it tells you to enter your password, I believe you have to type in the HEX password..did they tell you to copy down a series of letters and numbers when you setup your router? I believe mine was 26 characters.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh Ok, that makes since. I'll try that. Thanks so much!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I had the same type of problem with a wep password. I have heard that if you use a $ in front of the password it will work...didnt for me :( I changed the wep to wpa instead and t works fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With WEP you have to select what type it is. Default is WEP Password which is ACSII. For HEX you have to change it to WEP 48/128 Bit Hex. Then it should work. Use a 26 Character 128Bit HEX as it's the safest. WPA is way more secure but that is how to get WEP to work.

wep.jpg

Reaction score
password woes

I had the same problem. I use WEP and you have to type in the password using quotation marks if it's a 13 character password "*************"

Give it a go

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had the same problem. I use WEP and you have to type in the password using quotation marks if it's a 13 character password "*************"

Give it a go

The quotations didn't work for me, however I tried putting a "$" before the password as suggested a previos post. So I put in $********** in the window when it asks me and in the Airport prefrences in Network Prefrences. And now, it works flawlessly. Thanks Everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.