Cinema Display for Web/Graphic Design

Reaction score
I will be getting a MBP soon and want a external monitor to go along with it. I am looking at the Apple Cinema Display, 20 inch or 30 inch. Would the apple monitors be better than the LG or Hanns monitors? Would the 30 inch be overkill?

Edit: I am not sure if this is in the right part of the board or not.

Reaction score
Apple Monitors are very bright and very nice to look at. They also do a great job depicting color properly. So I'd go with them. Also, they have USB ports. But in such a case I would go see some for real if you have the chance.

OP
E
Reaction score
Apple Monitors are very bright and very nice to look at. They also do a great job depicting color properly. So I'd go with them. Also, they have USB ports. But in such a case I would go see some for real if you have the chance.

Is the 30 inch over kill though?

Reaction score
I have a 24" iMac and use my machine for web/graphic design and it's perfectly fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I would encourage you to look at Viewsonic's Pro line. They have better specs than the Cinema line, particularly in the area of contrast ratio, where the Viewsonic is listed at 1000:1, while the Cinema is listed at 750:1. Similar story for the response numbers. The Viewsonic is listed at 8 ms, while the Cinema is listed at 14 ms.

This is NOT Apple bashing, please don't flame me, it is just a technical rundown. Rumor is that Apple is about to upgrade the Cinema line to recover the technical lead. Stay tuned... this will be an exciting year for Apple products.

OP
E
Reaction score
I would encourage you to look at Viewsonic's Pro line. They have better specs than the Cinema line, particularly in the area of contrast ratio, where the Viewsonic is listed at 1000:1, while the Cinema is listed at 750:1. Similar story for the response numbers. The Viewsonic is listed at 8 ms, while the Cinema is listed at 14 ms.

This is NOT Apple bashing, please don't flame me, it is just a technical rundown. Rumor is that Apple is about to upgrade the Cinema line to recover the technical lead. Stay tuned... this will be an exciting year for Apple products.

Thanks for the info. I will check out ViewSonics monitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
We have a 23" CD at work used with a Macbook Pro... I noticed that it has banding on gradients which pretty much eliminated it as a candidate for a design monitor.

I've been really considering BenQ's fp241w monitor. 24" and stellar reviews across the board! The only thing I don't like about that monitor is the ugly casing and stand.

Reaction score
I love apple's monitors, i have used all of them. for web design and graphic stuff, it jst depends on the size of the thinks you are working on.. if you are working on billboards then the 30" is good, but if you are working on small stuff then the 23 or 20 would be fine...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
the apple 20in is nothing like the 23 or 30. I wouln't get it. The 23 is so much brighter and has such a high contrast ratio compared to the 20.

If I were you I would get the apple 23in or a different brand.

OP
E
Reaction score
the apple 20in is nothing like the 23 or 30. I wouln't get it. The 23 is so much brighter and has such a high contrast ratio compared to the 20.

If I were you I would get the apple 23in or a different brand.

I'll see what I can come up with.

If I can ask: Where can I get a 23 inch one for less than what apple sells them for. I have looked on ebay but they are about the same price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
unless you want them used thats what your going to spend.

the 20 isn't bad just its over priced dells 20in lcd part of the monitor is the same exact one apple uss, just it says dell.

samsungs 20bw has the same specs too.

OP
E
Reaction score
I think I will try the 20 inch and see how it works out, if I don't like it I will resell it. I want to get my MBP 1st, so I have the money for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
$700 for a marginal resolution increase and lower dotch pitch to boot?

If you're getting a MPB, I would advise against a 20" CD. You won't be getting much more onscreen real estate for the price you're paying:

15" MPB = 1440 x 900
20" CD = 1680 x 1050

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced the Gateway 24" monitor. I am currently looking at that or the Apple 23".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.