Help with Classic Mac

Reaction score
Hi, I have a classic mac, 1991 or 92 model, and the control panel and chooser are locked. I have no software for this computer, I purchased it from ebay. Just wondering if there is any way to unlock them, I can't even get to a password entry box. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Pull down 'Get Info" on the system folder and see if the locked check box is checked,try the same for the control panel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
Need a little more info on the Mac. What model, what OS?

OP
T
Reaction score
It's a Macintosh Classic, 1991 or 92 model. I'm not sure how to find the OS version, would it be the Finder version? There is no icon for the chooser or control panel, it's in the menu bar and when I highlight it a window opens up that says that it is locked. Therefore I can't select the 'get info' about either one. I cannot drag any of the icons around on the desktop, nor the icons in any of the folders. Maybe someone out there has an old version of the OS on floppy disk and would send me a copy to completely reinstall it? That would be super!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
My guess is you bought this from a school auction or something? Lots of public schools locked down their Macs (to prevent kids from messing with them) and never bothered to remove the security software before selling them.

You can download anything up to System 7.5 (which is about all that Mac will run) for free from Apple. It may be a little harder to get the disk images onto floppies using a PC, but it's possible.

Reaction score
You should of told us it was a Classic "Classic" sooner, It most likely has a educational version on it anyway which is a cut down OS, Bad news`is OS 7.5
comes on like 14 floppys, If you can find a 7.5 boot floppy you can use a external SCSI CD rom drive to load the OS from a dics. Or download 7.5 on another Mac and use Floppy Copy to make floppys.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is there an apple in the upper left corner on the bar? If so click that and about this mac. It will tell you the OS version.

Also is there a drive icon? If so is there a System Folder inside?

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, I bought it from eBay. I never got to have a Mac when I was a kid, they were too expensive for my mom to buy me one. I did have an Apple ][+ though. I guess I will try to hunt for some floppies to reinstall 7.5. Thank you for the help :)

Reaction score
You may be able to find the 3rd party softwear thats got it locked,look
in the extension folder and prefences folder for some kind of security softwear
and trash it. look in the apps folder too. Ive cleared one before a long time ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.