• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony camcorder to iMovie: sync to audio!

Reaction score
Hi! I am new to this forum, so thank you in advance to people who take the time to read my post or respond with advice. = )

A quick profile: I run OS 10.4.7 on a dual 1.25 ghz desktop power mac. My version of iMovie is 04, but I purchased 06 and it is on its way.

Allow me to try and explain what I intend to do.

I will own a Sony camcorder soon, probably by tomorrow, (30 gig Hard drive type, price 599.00). I am a musician. I intend to play and sing over stuff I have already multitracked and mixed in Logic Pro 7.

My live performance, over the top of that, I plan to capture with the Sony camcorder.

Then, of course, I will (or attempt to anyway) use iMovie to capture that video from the Sony camera.

Now, I will have an audio version from the Sony's condenser microphone of all parts: the pre recorded stuff coming from my speakers, and the stuff I perform live.

But, as I will be recording as I do this to Logic, I am sure the audio from Logic will be much better. I would either mix the two, or mute the Sony's audio completely and just use the Logic 7 audio. This would be a stereo file, mixed down from Logic, in standard audio format. Something iMovie would certainly understand.

I know that the audio i record to Logic and the Sony won't be synced (one doesn't know the other exists), but using my ears and eyes, it is possible to line them up, right?

I don't need down to the sample accuracy as one would when film scoring, just the ability to line up: nudge the audio in iMovie back and forth until I am satisfied with the sync.

I look forward to your response. Thank you!

P.S. I have not purchased the camcorder yet. I am not set on Sony; a JVC or Panasonic camcorder is also an option. If you know Sony camcorders to be incompatible with Mac, please say so. Of course Sony's software that comes with the camera won't worn on Mac. (I'm used to being a Mac person in a PCcentric world) If iMovie can capture the video, then I think that will be enough.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In iMovie there are two extra tracks for audio. You can place your extra track there by dragging it. You than can shift the audio to the frame level. You can then remove the check mark on the right side of the video track to remove its audio, I think.

Use 'Show Clip Volume Levels' to create drops in locations of the audio.

You might be better off using Garage Band for this type of thing. I'd suggest to play with both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.