Need tips for buying external DVD/CD burner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 12,1 OS 10.6.8, 2.5 GHz, 4MB memory
I have a G4 iMac, running 10.3.9, and the Superdrive in it has gone kaput -- of course, six weeks after my AppleCare ran out. :rolleyes: According to the fellow I spoke to at the Apple store, it would cost more to replace an internal one than just get an external one. I'm too leery to replace it myself, for fear I could do something horribly wrong and kill my iMac.

So I need some advice on getting an external DVD/CD burner. I'd want one that's firewire, since all my USB slots are filled with other peripherals. Are there any that are particularly good (or bad, for that matter)? Will ANY external DVD drive with firewire work on a Mac? About how much should this cost?

And this may be an incredibly stupid/basic question that will destroy all my credibility, but will an external DVD burner also burn CDs, like my internal one did?

I am grateful for any feedback!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.