"Open with" multiple options

Reaction score
Hi.

If I right-click on an RTF icon and select "open with" I get two options of Word, three of Montage, three of OmniOutliner, two of Safari, one of TextEdit and two of WriteRoom. Any idea why this is and how to rectify it?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Answer

The Launch Services database has become confused and needs to be reset. This is rather like rebuilding the desktop in Mac OS 9 and before, but it needs to be done much more rarely and is a bit more complicated.

Code:
cd /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/
./lsregister -kill -domain local -domain system -domain user

You can pass it the -r flag to get a running commentary, but that's superfluous. What it's going to do is destroy the current database and then search the three pre-defined domains for programs to register and add them to the database. Logout and back in and the menu should work as expected.

from MacGeekery

Hope that helps

Dave

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
That's the thing all right. But, um, I don't know how to implement the code. Do I do this through terminal...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
yeah the same thing happens to me but how do i use the code?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Firstly I should point out that I am not a switcher yet - still awaiting my first purchase.

MacGeekery & Google deserve the credit for that answer.

To use the answer you need your Terminal. In Linux you could just copy from the browser straight to the terminal - I see no reason why that would not work in OS X.

Dave

PS: If you don't mind shelling out; Cocktail is an app that can do things like rebuild the Launch Services Database amongst other things - it's maybe a bit friendlier than the Terminal.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Anyone else use Cocktail? Looks interesting, but has mixed comments on versiontracker.com.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
I downloaded Cocktail and ran "rebuild launch services". My Office files certainly seem to open a lot more quickly, although it did ask me if I really wanted to open the apps the first time after re-launch. (Oh, and I still have multiple "open with" entries.)

Cocktail looks interesting, but it's all a bit vague about what it's going to do, and I'm reluctant to run things when I don't know what they are.

M

MacHeadCase

You could download MainMenu. This little freebie is absolutely divine.

It has the Rebuild scripts, you can manually run the maintenance tasks with it view invisible files if you need to. What can I say? It's fantastic!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.