matching monitor for 15" macbook pro?

Reaction score
i'm currently waiting for the next revision of macbooks (and leopard...) before i buy, but, like a child, i've already decided how i want my setup at home to look:
mbp on icurve stand, spanned to matching 15.4" 1440x900 tft/lcd.
trouble is, it seems like no one makes monitors this small at this high res.

if i drop resolution, the screen won't span to the right size (i think), and if i get a 17/19 monitor, it'll just keep me awake at night.

does the likely resolution independence of 10.5 mean this won't be an issue?

OR does anyone know where i can get a nice big 16:10 monitor for the pocket change i'll have left after shelling out for a new mac?

any other solutions?

maybe i should worry about world hunger instead?

so many questions, please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
15'' monitors aren't made at that resolution. As far as I know, 15'' widescreen monitors were never produced, and certainly at that high of resolution.

A 19'' is the lowest you can go for that resolution, unless you want to buy another macbook pro screen and build your own bezel for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
on a side note......waiting for leopard is not such a bad idea, but waiting for the new MBP's might take a while. Apple will more than likely not update them for quite sometime

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for the responses, even the flippant one :)

black is fine, i'm not worried about the colour, just the screen size/res. 1280x800 is pretty close though, ta for looking.

nice idea about building my own from a notebook screen, but i think it'd be prohibitively expensive - may as well get a big display for the money that'd end up costing methinks

re: macbook revisions - gotta be mid/late march no? i can wait that long... just.

any ideas about the nature of resolution independence? how does this work? wiki just confused me.

Reaction score
I've never read anything about this other than that Leopard will have vector graphics, so lets see if I clarify this (I might be totally off).
The resolution independence dones't really apply to the macbook pro because although it has a pretty high resolution monitor, especially for its size, its not enough to make the OS seem oddly sized. As you increase the resolution, the menu bars and icons stay the same size, so you get more screen real estate, but some stuff gets harder to see.
Vector graphics arnt as nice looking as what OSX uses now for this stuff, but the cool thing about them (think flash animations etc) is that they are scallable to any resolution. This means your workplace will look the same on a 30" display as a 13". The difference is that you will still have all that nice extra real estate on the bigger display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd really just go with a larger monitor...

Even though having matching monitor sizes might seem appealing now, I think most people would agree that the larger the monitor, the more enjoyable it is to work at your computer.

Even if you don't want to turn your monitor off (for reasons beyond me), you can easily dim it to be less disturbing.

OP
J
Reaction score
lol

'keep me awake at night' is just a turn of phrase, meaning it'll bother me.

kinda like having a cupboard full of campbell's soup, only to discover there's one tin of heinz in there...

thanks for the RI explanation btw, very helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.