connecting PC&imac

Reaction score
I'm buying a new Mac OS X V10.4 computer & want to connect it to my PC. Running cables is no problem. We need a router to connect both computers with the printer but our printer cannot connect with the router. You guys will probably have no idea what I'm trying to ask. But how do you get the printer to work from the mac if the printer is only connected to the PC? Do you need a special program?? Sorry to have to ask you this but I've been looking for AGES for a router that will do this & can't find anything...ughhh..lol I'm so frustrated with this!!!!!!! Thanks you guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I *think* the right approach here is to have the printer directly connected to one or the other of the PC or the Mac, and then use Windows File Sharing to provide access to it from the other. I have never tried to share a printer myself, so I can't go much farther than that, but I understand that this is the basic conceptual model.

I did do something like this to share my Mac's folders with my PC, also on my little home network connected via a router. For printer sharing, my guess is that it will be easiest to connect the printer directly to the Mac, and then use the System Preferences Print&Fax Sharing tab to allow it to be shared.

Then, on the Windows box, go to My Network Places, select "Add A Network Place" and type in the IP address of your Mac. In my experience, the PC then waits for an EXTRAORDINARYILY long period of time (5+ minutes on my PC when I did this just to share my Mac's folders) before finally presenting you a login dialog.

After you login in, it should present you with a folder of available shared items from your Mac. In my case, it showed me the folders I was sharing, in your case hopefully a printer too!

OP
mac.xx
Reaction score
Is there a special router I can buy to just connect the mac & pc? (not including the printer)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, OSX ver 10.4.8
I had the same dilemma. First I made the docs on the pc sharable. Then from the mac I went to Finder, Go, Connect to server and typed in the address of the pc smb://pcname/etc.

As for the printer I purchased an Airport Express and used that. I don't know the specifics on that because my Father-in-Law did most of that for me. Using this is nice because the pc doesn't have to be on to print from the mac.

OP
mac.xx
Reaction score
I had the same dilemma. First I made the docs on the pc sharable. Then from the mac I went to Finder, Go, Connect to server and typed in the address of the pc smb://pcname/etc.

What kind of router do you have? & also how do you make the docs sharable? lol I must sound like an idiot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.