Linksys WRT54G Router locks up when MBP plugged in.

Reaction score
I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that I've been using for several months now and usually have 2-4 PCs plugged into it. Today is the first time I've ever put my MBP on it and now the router keeps locking up. It doesn't matter if I plug in the ethernet or connect to the wireless, it runs for a few minutes and just locks up and I have to unplug it to get it to reset. Obviously, the mac is somehow causing this but why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that I've been using for several months now and usually have 2-4 PCs plugged into it. Today is the first time I've ever put my MBP on it and now the router keeps locking up. It doesn't matter if I plug in the ethernet or connect to the wireless, it runs for a few minutes and just locks up and I have to unplug it to get it to reset. Obviously, the mac is somehow causing this but why?

This happened to me also - I ended putting the router in the trash can!

I have read so many complaints about this router when it comes to Macs. The only thing I can advise it trying to flash the router with the latest firmware upgrade, which is quite simple. However when I did this, it went from locking up a few times a week to not allowing any Mac to connect to it, regardless of configuration so be warned. It was fine with Windows though.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well that's weird. I thought TCP\IP was TCP\IP regardless of whether it was mac or windows. Too bad because I've always loved this router!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Well that's weird. I thought TCP\IP was TCP\IP regardless of whether it was mac or windows. Too bad because I've always loved this router!

That's great. Yes it is weird. The weird thing is that Mac can in fact connect to the router, but the router refuses to assign it an IP address to connect to the internet.

A cafe near where I live has this router and everyone who goes in there with a Mac has this issue. They reset it, it's fine for an hour or so and then same problem again. It never happens to the Windows users, or for that matter using Ubuntu. Who knows, it could be a hardware issue with the Mac, but this problem only happens with the LinksysWRT54G

Reaction score
I have a wrt54g at home with a desktop pc and 2 windows notebooks. I had no problems until I bought a macbook pro. the macbook kept disconnecting other computers from the network.

After much time trying to deal with this I found a solution that completely solved the problem and now all computers connect without any problem.

in fact a router that at first glance looked very bad now looks just excellent.

I just erase all firmware from linksys and installed open source dd-wrt. this open source software is much better and you will turn a $60 crap into a $600 machine.

In case you want to take a look, here is the link:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WRT54G_v4_Installation_Tutorial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
trash the wrt54g
i had the same problem

buy a belkin N1 router even if you dont use N draft, buy this router it is the best

Reaction score
trash the wrt54g
i had the same problem

buy a belkin N1 router even if you dont use N draft, buy this router it is the best

Don't trash it. Linksys wrt54g /gl /gs are the best routers you can find and the routers that work better with macbook pro.

You just have to do what I said: erase original firmware and put the most powerful firmware DD-WRT. after that you will see how powerful and stable the router is, dealing with pc's and macbook's.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, it's a great router and this is the first trouble I've ever had with it. Actually, I just used the latest firmware from the Linksys website and it's working a whole lot better. Now it only resets every 2 or 3 days, which is acceptable to me. I am about to try the DD-WRT though and see if that fixes it completely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.