Need help tring to get Imac 333mhz up and running

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
I have a iMac 333mhz that I am tring to get running to use for internet in my living room.

The computer starts and comes up with a light colored screen with a folder and a question mark in the middle, sits there for a second, the screen flashes black and thats all I can get it to do.

I am tring to boot up on OSX 10.1 install disc by holding down "C" during start-up (thats how it says to do it on the front of the disc) but I am getting the same thing.

Anyone have any suggestions how I go about fixing this thing?

I have owned this iMac since new, put it away after I got a powermac tower, this is the first problems I have ever had with it. It had OSX previously installed as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
We've got the same problems here with a G3 iMac. It either comes up with a question mark, or boots up to a command prompt with various error messages.

It won't boot up from CD.

Ours is going in the bin I'm afraid.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It could be the CD ROM's lens is dirty and that is why it will not boot from the CD. Open the door and clean the laser lens. I use a Cue Tip in some denatured Alcohol. I bought a used 333 to mess with a year or so ago and it did the same thing. Try it as it can't hurt. You are doing the right thing holding the C down to boot from the CD. Be sure you press C right after the chime and keep it down till it boots. Is the 10.1 CD dirty? After the lens cleaning it booted from my Panther CD and the OS installed. It's worked great every since.

Reaction score
Also check the battery on the motherboard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also check the battery on the motherboard.

Good point. Also try resetting the PRAM. Power on and hold down Command(Apple)-Option-P-R down tilll you hear the Chime 2-3 Times and then let go. Hold all 4 keys down at the same time.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
I've tried the battery from my g3 tower, no luck

Formated a bootable HD on my g3 tower and put it in the imac, no luck

I bought 2 imac hd's and 3 CD drives from a computer recyler, tried them all, no luck

Half the time it don't even want to start up, it starts and the light on the front never turns green like it should, the front light come on like its in sleep mode. Any ideas? I'll do want it takes to fix it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With my 333 when the battery was bad it did that very thing. The Amber light and would never come out of sleep.

Are you sure your G3 battery is good and not weak? Do you have a voltmeter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Could be several issues but you've put 2 HD's in with no avail so I'm thinkin it's the MLB, perhaps a bus problem on the board.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac B&W 400 Mhz
The battery I used is only 2 months old so its more than likely ok.

Do you think a new motherboard would resolve this problem? I am tring to get this computer up and running to use for internet on my living room TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
Most likely, you already switched out several components and eliminated them soo..give it a try.

Reaction score
could something on the board be dead so its ... well.. toast?

i had an ex that got one of those new and it was a PILE... never worked right. i'd hate to see the results 8 1/2 years later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.