Will a Apple TV work with a 'server hard drive' connected to Airport Base Station?

Reaction score
I have a Apple TV on order and the 40 gig HD isn't enough for my iTunes collection but as well I have a Airport Base Station coming. I plan to put at least a 250 gig hard drive on that. My questions:

1. I know how you can copy files to the Apple TV's hard drive and as well connect with up to 5 PC's. Will it connect to a hard drive connected to the Airport Base Station though?

2. I plan to use this hard drive on the base station as a 'server drive'. Is there any way I can get podcasts to automatically go on this server drive as well as other media files such as my videos and music from itunes and photos from iphoto? What I mean is basically have these items from my laptop sync to the appropriate directories on this server drive.

Thanks in advance for any help.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
It will it automatically detect all media in any itunes on any machine. So I don't think it will connect directly. But if you put an alisa from the network HD to your PC/Mac, then apple TV will access it via your computer. This is because itunes uses bonjour, it should work in theory it will work. Let us know how it works out, as no one really has it yet.

Reaction score
Its just one extra step really.

My music/videos are stored on my linux server. My iTunes library accesses it from my mac mini (I do a network connect and loads a desktop icon of the server's HD)

ex.
Apple TV
(talks to Mac Computer w/ iTunes)
Mac Computer
(grabs files in library from linux server)
Linux File Server (2TB)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.