MacBook Pro Not That Good?

JRV

Reaction score
I've seen on here that some people are actually saying that the MacBook is better than the MacBook Pro. I think I have decided to get a MacBook Pro mainly because it does not have to share memory for the video card. I will be using Photoshop CS2 heavy and only a little, if any, video editing. Is there a reason I should not get the MacBook Pro?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Macbook Pro is a TOP of the line Pro Notebook. As you mentioned, the Video, the case construction and many features since it's a Pro machine.

The MacBook is a fine computer for those who do not need the better video and other features of the MBP, but in no way is the Macbook a better system except for the lower price which most people can appreciate! Besides the lower price the only other thing I would rather have a MacBook for is the smaller size for more portability. I do not play demanding games on my Notebooks so do not need the better video, but if I had the spare $$$ I would get the MBP any day of the week over the MB if price were no object if you get my meaning.

Reaction score
If the MacBook meets your needs for size, weight, price, & performance than it's a better choice than a MBP.

If you want some of the features available only in the MBP (discrete video system, larger display, more rugged construction, etc.) then the MBP is the better choice.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
I think the point of people asking is that they don't know what they need or how programs run in the Mac environment. The MacBook seems like what I need but the MacBook Pro has a better video card.

Is that the only REAL difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro, just the video card?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think the point of people asking is that they don't know what they need or how programs run in the Mac environment. The MacBook seems like what I need but the MacBook Pro has a better video card.

Is that the only REAL difference between the MacBook and MacBook Pro, just the video card?

It also has the Expresscard34 slot for expansion capability, the bigger screen of course, and on the Core 2 Duo units, a Firewire 800 port. If any of those are important to you, than the MBP might be a better choice.

If you're just going to do the basics, not play games or run any heavy hitter applications that might take advantage of the discrete video in the MBP, then it's not advantageous to go with the MBP.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
cwa107, what would you consider a heavy hitter app? are photoshop and flash heavy hitters?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I think in some ways, the generous specs Apple offer with the MacBook are partly to blame for this confusion.

Processor wise, the MacBook offers as much grunt and processing power as its bigger brother. Not only that, but the GMA950 GPU in the MacBook is shown to be marginally more efficient at video encoding/decoding than the ATI X1900 in the MBP.

The larger screen, 3D capabilities, FireWire 800 and expandibility of the MBP though mean that for the serious user, it's a better rounded machine.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
I think in some ways, the generous specs Apple offer with the MacBook are partly to blame for this confusion.

Processor wise, the MacBook offers as much grunt and processing power as its bigger brother. Not only that, but the GMA950 GPU in the MacBook is shown to be marginally more efficient at video encoding/decoding than the ATI X1900 in the MBP.

The larger screen, 3D capabilities, FireWire 800 and expandibility of the MBP though mean that for the serious user, it's a better rounded machine.

wow, now i am really confused on which to get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow, now i am really confused on which to get.

What are you going to use it for? I got a MacBook because I wanted something small and also didn't really want to pay more than $2000.

Photoshop really screams for a bigger screen, but performance wise there will be little or no difference, same with Flash animation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
I bought my Macbook Pro over the Macbook mostly due to the screen resolution and FW800, both of which the Macbook was lacking. I "stepped up" from my Powerbook G4 (1.67), which basically offered the same screen resolution as the Macbook (aside from FW800), I also can't stand the glossy screen on the MB.

That said, transitioning to the Macbook Pro from the Powerbook was incredibly seamless, to the point where I don't notice any performance increases other than a better and brighter screen. I'm sure that once Adobe CS3 hits the shelves, I'll be coasting, but I could just as easily switch to my Powerbook if I'm not working on a design that requires larger resolutions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
What about just geting a g4 powerbook, photoshop doesn't need a really fast computer to work at full speed I don't think, I have CS2 and it works fast on my 1.33ghz powerbook, I would say save you the money and buy a 17" powerbook 1.6ghz with a 1 gig ram maybe 2 if you want it with a superdrive. Much cheeper that a 17" macbook pro. Then you could by CS3 with the extra money when it comes out.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
What are you going to use it for? I got a MacBook because I wanted something small and also didn't really want to pay more than $2000.

Photoshop really screams for a bigger screen, but performance wise there will be little or no difference, same with Flash animation.

I will be using it for Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver, almost no video editing, oh and running XP in Parallels. If I got the MacBook I would get the black one with 2gb or RAM. But I just assumed that the MacBook Pro would be better. I don't want to waste my money on something I don't need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM
As an owner of both systems, the Macbook Pro is so, so much better.

The Macbook looks and feels cheap. Its very compact and easy to carry, but its honestly not that much lighter then the Macbook Pro. Also, the case on the Macbook Pro looks so much classier with the silver.

Its also much faster. The pro is hands down the better choice if you can afford it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will be using it for Photoshop, Flash and Dreamweaver, almost no video editing, oh and running XP in Parallels. If I got the MacBook I would get the black one with 2gb or RAM. But I just assumed that the MacBook Pro would be better. I don't want to waste my money on something I don't need.

For design of websites and using Photoshop, I'd get the bigger screen. Really, 1280*800 is a little cramped for web design and photo editing.

As an owner of both systems, the Macbook Pro is so, so much better.

The Macbook looks and feels cheap. Its very compact and easy to carry, but its honestly not that much lighter then the Macbook Pro. Also, the case on the Macbook Pro looks so much classier with the silver.

Its also much faster. The pro is hands down the better choice if you can afford it.

The MacBook doesn't look or feel cheap, my MacBook Black cost $1700 all in, which is hardly a budget laptop. I agree about the weight, the difference is small - the MacBook is actually quite heavy, thanks to its solid build (which you call cheap!).

As to which looks 'classier' - I like the Black, but everyone will feel differently. The Pro really does look like a serious bit of kit.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Well I would be hooking it up to an external monitor. But I need a laptop so I can travel with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I would be hooking it up to an external monitor. But I need a laptop so I can travel with it.

Ahhh...

Tough decision then. :eek:

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Since I'll need to run Windows XP in Parallels I'll probably go with the MacBook Pro just because it has a better video card and I won't need to share the main memory with video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I'll need to run Windows XP in Parallels I'll probably go with the MacBook Pro just because it has a better video card and I won't need to share the main memory with video.

OK, but you should know that Parallels emulates the video card anyway so you will get no benefit in Parallels having a better video card - besides there is no Direct 3D support in Parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No mac yet...

You are getting in the point I wanted to know about.
I think the most video demanding application I am going to use is photoshop. Besides it, few to none video editing, but some presentation creation with photos+music.
So, looks like Macbook (C2D, 2Gb ram) is going to do the job, ok? (consider that I really don't care about photoshop screaming for a bigger screen!)

Thanks,
Marcio

Reaction score
The thing is for me, the Macbook and Macbook Pro are both good products, it's just some the Macbook packs enough features for most of the consumers out there. Most people don't require the additional specs for the Macbook Pro , and also don't really want to spend the additional money for the MBP versus the MB. I personally ended up choosing Macbook Pro, not necessarily because I needed the additonal features, but because I preferred the design, screen size, resolution, and other small things that the mbp had. I would have been perfectly capable of being ok with the macbook, for what I use it for, (mostly web browsing, minor photo editing, video watching) and stuff .. but I opted to choose the macbook pro, despite the price point. My reasoning is, if I'm going to spend the money, I might as well choose the one I want. I don't regret it one bit, yes I kind of wish the mbp's were cheaper, but I really really like my computer. Both products are good in their own ways, it's just in most instances, the macbook will more than adequately suit the average consumer. It depends on what the person needs and wants. I went with the mbp, I hate to say it, but mostly for the 15 inch screen. I couldn't stand to look at 13" screen. i was coming from a 14" HP laptop which I liked, but I just got frustrated with the lack of screen space. sometimes I even want more screen space than the 15" offers (but I refuse to buy into the 17" laptop.. it's just SILLY to me... if i want that big of a screen, i can buy an lcd .. 17 isn't portable imo, even if the 17" macbook pro is pretty small compared to its same sized competitors). I really like my mbp, and don't regret spending the extra money for that, but I do have to admit, that it's probably more machine than most people ever need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.