Wireless Internet Woes

Reaction score
So I downloaded aMSN, so I could chat while using video. It really slowed everything down so I got rid of it, but it must have changed some settings because now I cant get online!
When I go up top to the internet status symbol & open the connection it says im connected & I have a decent signal level.
But when i go into system preferencesthen to network & check network status, it says that Airport is connected to the network linksys, but it has a self assigned IP address & may not be able to connect to the internet, with a yellow status light...
What gives?! I used to just turn it on & it would connect to any available local network. Its still seeing the network but i cant get online at all!
Im sure it has something to do with the self assigned IP, but dont know where to change it or what to change it to.
Also, when i open the net diagnostics from safari it says that airport, airport settings, network settings are all okay, but isp, internet & server have all failed..
Any help would be very appreciated.
S.

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem! I connected my mac to a LAN this weekend and it worked well (except applemail would not send so I went to gmail help and followed what they said about terminal and typing in telnet smtp.gmail.com 25 ... to no avail) but now that I'm back at home on my wireless, the aiport symbol is full throttle but no internet in site.
This is really frustrating since it all worked fine last night and today - kaput.
I'm hunting for a solution but I'm scared I botched this one up. :(

Reaction score
So I downloaded aMSN, so I could chat while using video. It really slowed everything down so I got rid of it, but it must have changed some settings because now I cant get online!
When I go up top to the internet status symbol & open the connection it says im connected & I have a decent signal level.
But when i go into system preferencesthen to network & check network status, it says that Airport is connected to the network linksys, but it has a self assigned IP address & may not be able to connect to the internet, with a yellow status light...

What gives?! I used to just turn it on & it would connect to any available local network. Its still seeing the network but i cant get online at all!
Im sure it has something to do with the self assigned IP, but dont know where to change it or what to change it to.
Also, when i open the net diagnostics from safari it says that airport, airport settings, network settings are all okay, but isp, internet & server have all failed..
Any help would be very appreciated.
S.

I'm having the EXACT same problem. To "fix" it, I have to to to Network in Preferences, to Automatic, to Airport, choose the network, then have it "assist me". It then creates a new location, and, finally, connects. It drops out again at random times, and I have to go through that process over again. I'm creating a ton of "locations". Help!

PLEASE, someone, help us fix this!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.