Computers Been Different Please Help

Reaction score
i just got a imac g5 in november and it was running beautifuly. now the page load times are so much slower i dont know why. i hardly have anything downloaded on my comp i had 150 songs i deleated 120 of them. i basically have thoese 30 songs and call of duty 2 on my comp, anyone knoww whats going on? another question before i deleated thoses 120 songs i had 128.43 gb and after i deleated the songs completely and its still at 128.43 gb?? so weird please hellp me out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
How much RAM do you have? This is frequently a culprit. Is it only slow when you are running lots of apps, or just all the time?

I would also check your start up items to see if lots of interesting stuff is getting started up that you didn't need. Go to System Preferences, Accounts, your user id, Login Items, and make sure that all is well there.

Finally, and this has helped a surprising number of people, check your processor speed setting. Go to System Preferences, Energy Saver, Options. Check the Processor Performance item near the bottom of this tab. It should be set to Highest. If not, set it to that.

Hope one of these helps!

Reaction score
How much RAM do you have? This is frequently a culprit. Is it only slow when you are running lots of apps, or just all the time?

I would also check your start up items to see if lots of interesting stuff is getting started up that you didn't need. Go to System Preferences, Accounts, your user id, Login Items, and make sure that all is well there.

Finally, and this has helped a surprising number of people, check your processor speed setting. Go to System Preferences, Energy Saver, Options. Check the Processor Performance item near the bottom of this tab. It should be set to Highest. If not, set it to that.

Hope one of these helps!

Do all Macs have this Processor Performance option? I don't see it on my MacBook Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't say for sure since I only have one Mac, that being my PowerMac, but I have suggested this to other people and had folks that I seem to recall being on MacBooks saying that it helped.

It makes sense that it should exist there, since portables usually have a CPU power scaling option.

OP
C
Reaction score
my computer is being stright up rediculous right now, i try to open system preferences and nothing happens i go down to the dock and the icon is just bouncing? i force quit it and try again and it does the same thing, i tryed opening a picture and the same thing happened with preview can someone pleaseeee tell me whats going on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks to me like you have a CPU hog. Can you get Activity Monitor to start? What is your CPU occupancy, and what is the highest CPU usage application (you can click on that column to sort by it)? Please report back!

OP
C
Reaction score
the highest cpu i have right now is between the activity monitor and the browswer you told me to d/l BonEcho, im really thinking about reformating my comp how can i do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This may be a silly question, but does rebooting help? Immediately after a reboot, do most applications work OK? In general, is it just your browser that is really slow? ...most of the time, anyway? I do see your post above where you say that pretty much everything is being really slow.

One other related question. When you first start up your Mac after it has been off for an hour or more, are things more normal? I am wondering if you have a heat problem going on here, perhaps a fan failure? When you first start up, it would take a few minutes for things to start overheating. In that interval, if all was well, you would know that this is what you might be up against.

There is a widget called iStatPro that contains some wonderful temperature sensor display information, but I am not sure if it works for iMacs. Can anyone reading this comment?

Before you take the plunge and reformat, try this first. Get OnyX from http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html and run its suite of cache and other clean up capabilities. Clear out everything that it will clear. Then restart (this first restart will be quite slow, as Mac OS X has to repopulate a lot of caches). Now are things any better?

If this doesn't improve things, and the fan/heating theory above doesn't bear fruit, I would agree that the reformat is your last desperate measure. If that doesn't work, you will have to take the make in for service. I would be suspecting a partial hardware fault at that point... a disk drive that was starting to fail, RAM that was giving out, something like that.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks anyways i just reformated and its everything is fine now, i didnt mind reformating because i didnt really have to much on the comp thanks a lot for your help thought

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great calichris, I am glad to hear it. You certainly had a difficult case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.