What is Raid setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.33GHz, 100GB@7200rpm
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right post for this...

I heard about combining multiple HD into a single partition in "RAID setup"... What does that mean, and what's the benefit of having a single partition instead of two or more? Is there a risk to lose all data if something goes wrong with the OS ?

Thanks,
Stephan

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The topic of RAID arrays is too complex and multi-layered for a 'real' response to 'What is Raid' here in a forum. Here is a link if you would really like to learn about it.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html

You can google for others, there are many out there, some easier to understand than others. Suggest reading several to gain a general understanding of the different type of RAID configurations. Then if you have specific questions regarding a RAID setup, your best bet is going to be finding a forum specific to RAID discussions.

To the 2nd question there is always the possibilbity of losing data if 'something' goes wrong with the OS, but preventing data loss is the primary use of RAID and would be dependant on the type of RAID set up you have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.