Which terabyte hard drive to buy?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the market to purchase a terabyte drive, but I'm not too sure of which companies are good and which to avoid.

I've been reading on various sites (including New Egg and the likes) and the feel I get is:

LaCie = anti-Christ in a box
Western Digital = Blow dryer in a box

Now, I appreciate the fact that 9/10 times people will post their complaints and not their praises.

So..... I'm turning to you ladies & gents to help me out.

Merci beaucoup:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
I have pretty good luck with western digital and seagate drives. I have never owned and external seagate, but my WD is a little bit louder than i would like, i just listen to music to compensate haha

Reaction score
I would go with the lacie... they are very well built and stand up to alot..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 17" 1.67 gHz, 2GB RAM 60GB ipod Video,iPod Shuffle, MacPro 2.33 5GB RAM,1.5TB 2x20" :o)
I have 3 1TB Lacie Drives there quiet noisy but i would expect that from a drive of this size, all my seagate drives i have had have blown up on me:bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro quad-core 2.66gHz, Leopard, 9gb RAM, one 250gb, two 500gb and three 1tb internal SATA drives
Hitachi 1tb Hds721010kla330

I've had two 250gb external Lacie drives with no problems whatsoever but two Western Digital external drives have failed early in their lifecycles.

I thought that Hitachi was the only manufacturer of 1TB drives... Wrong again. I'm going to have to check the prices and functionality with my MacPro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I would personally look at two 500gb. That's a lot of data to lose if the drive goes bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.