Trackpad button stopped working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
For the past few days, I have been noticing a change in the performance of my trackpad button. It was getting harder and harder to register clicks with it. I had to click in different areas of the button, and found that it required more and more pressure to work.

Yesterday, no matter where I pressed, or how hard I pushed the button- it would not work. The scrolling and cursor control are fine. I am still able to click with the trackpad itself as well. In addition, I can hook up an external mouse and use that without problem.

Spent most of yesterday scouring the web for similar stories. As usually, I have encountered a fairly isolated issue hehe! I found a small group of posts from users who encountered a squishy and erratic trackpad button, but not many with total loss of functionality.

Among the possible solutions offered that I attempted: repairing permissions, having updated firmware and software etc., changing options in system preferences, and even the origami solution http://ibloggedthis.com/2006/06/29/an-origami-solution-to-the-apple-macbook-trackpad-squishy-button-problem/

Nothing has worked- the button still looks fine, but does not work. I am glad that the cursor and scrolling are still fine, and that I have the option to click on it- but I am used to the button and I like using it!!

I will probably scout out a local shop for repairs tomorrow- but if anyone had any insight or ideas- I would love to hear them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
My dad has an old powerbook where half the trackpad button doesn't work anymore. The half that doesn't work is very squishy, and has no resistance from pressure. I think it just gets worn out. How old is your laptop?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I got it in August 2006

Reaction score
Anybody?

So I find it pretty crappy that no one ever replied to this.
I've had my laptop for about a year and a half and this happened. the touchpad still works, but when it touches the dock, the dock freezes.
ANBODY GONNA HELP?
ANYBODY???????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Aluminum 2.4, 4g mem, 640 gig drive
Voodude.. It sounds like you have a hardware issue more than software.

When i had some issues, it ended up being the ribbon cable. I do not know the specifics of the MacBook as i have a pro. Do you have access to under the trackpad button to see the ribbon cables?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
So I find it pretty crappy that no one ever replied to this.
I've had my laptop for about a year and a half and this happened. the touchpad still works, but when it touches the dock, the dock freezes.
ANBODY GONNA HELP?
ANYBODY???????
wow, Slow down ! This is a user forum not the apple help desk ! You will be hard pressed to find help this way.

Clay

Reaction score
Did you figure out teh problem with the trackpad?? I started having the same problem with my mac book from yesterday. If you have the answer let me know

Reaction score
Possible solution to trackpad button issue

I just thought I had the same problem, but discovered that my external trackpad which was in my bag had randomly turned on and the button on it was wedged on. So while the rest of the mouse pad continued to worked I couldn't click on anything.

So try checking your bluetooth devices haven't unintentionally connected to your macbook.

Reaction score
Trackpad Issue

Mine was working fine until literally 5 minutes ago. I got up to print and when I tried clicking with the trackpad it wasn't working. I have to press harder than I usually have to. I can her it click down but nothing happens so I have to click it harder and it will work. It feels almost like it's stuck. I just got this MacBook last December and never had any issue until now. Any way to fix it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A bulged battery will cause this issue.

If you have a removable battery - remove it and see if your trackpad now works. If so, it's time to replace the battery.

If you don't have a removable battery - take it in to Apple and let them check it out.

Reaction score
Problem Fixed!!!

Hello. I had the same problem, but fixed it successfully thanks to bobtomay. He was right on the money when he said, 'A bulged battery will cause this issue. If you have a removable battery - remove it and see if your trackpad now works. If so, it's time to replace the battery. If you don't have a removable battery - take it in to Apple and let them check it out.' I removed the battery and everything is fixed, including the right side of my bluetooth laser mouse. Previously, I'd been receiving a message to replace the battery soon. Many thanks to bobtomay!!!

Reaction score
Trackpad problem fixed by removing battery

Hi,

Thanks so much for the tip bobtomay!!! Saved my day :Cool: My trackpad was not clicking and my Mac was just randomly highlighting stuff, moving things around, and making mayhem of my files, emails, and whatever today.

So, I took the battery out as suggested -- was radically bulging (I don't know what I was thinking in just letting that happen...! ) and now everything is cool again...

Thank you! Now, off to order a battery -- although it'd be great if they just replaced it...

-Kathryn

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.