Read/write permissions

Reaction score
I was trying to install microsoft word, and to do so I need to turn on the folder's read/write ownership permissions for the program. I am logged in as the admin, so that can't be the problem. When I try to enter my password to give myself access too change it, nothing happens. I don't get an error box telling me that my password is incorrect, the box just disappears without giving me access to change the permissions.

I tried looking for possible answers and did the 'repair permissions' thing apple.com recomended, but apparently that only fixes programs that are installed with the computer.

This is really frustrating as I have work that I need access to but can't get to it. If anyone has any ideas of what I could do it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Can you tell us a little more about your system and your OS version? There isn't enough to go on with what you have said.

You should not need to do ANYTHING special to install Microsoft word re changing folder read/write priveledges. The installer should do this. Something is fishy...

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm using a powerbook G4 that I just bought off eBay about three weeks ago. I'm trying to run the trial version of Word (if that somehow helps).

The exact thing that the program tells me is:

Microsoft Office 2004 Test Drive must be run by an administrator and on a volume with read/write permission. Make sure that you have administrator privileges and the Test Drive is installed on a read/write volume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I wonder if this message is a canard? If this is an older machine, and you are trying to run the perhaps included trial version of Word, it is highly likely that it has been run by the previous owner and exceeded its allowed trial period. Hence no joy in running it now. If this were the case, the "helpfulness" of the error message would be PURE Microsoft!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.