Sorry More Newbie Questions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Ok so im slowly getting to grips with this OS X business but i still have a few questions.

1stly is there anything like disk defragment or anything that cleans up my mac after each session use? My friend was saying something along the lines of every time an app is opened to a webpage viewed contents go to the core of the system and there is sumthing that cleans up after you after each sessions (when u shut down) is this true? if so how od i go about it? As ive noticed everytime i use my mac its seems to get that little bit slower at loading things.

2ndly in my finder preferences i have got it set to open in colum view yet its a bit random on how things open. For example if i open up my 2nd HD paritition it will come up as icons, if i click into my work folder it will come up in a list or if i go into my photography folder it will go into column mode. seems strange, im sure its just some settings ive got wrong somehwere

3rdly im after a bluetooth remote control to control my dvd playback and itunes with. Nothing fancy just something bluetooth and functional. Ive tried searching but found nothing!

4thly Ive heard there are often problems with photoshop cs2 crashing but everytime i go to export a movie from adobe premier the program just crashes. If i re-open then i can then go to export but first time round in a new sessions it just crashes. Any reasons for this?

Sorry for all the newbie questions i keep asking i do try and search for the answer but most the time i have no suck luck and you guys are so helpful

Cheers

Joe

Reaction score
Ok so im slowly getting to grips with this OS X business but i still have a few questions.

1stly is there anything like disk defragment or anything that cleans up my mac after each session use? My friend was saying something along the lines of every time an app is opened to a webpage viewed contents go to the core of the system and there is sumthing that cleans up after you after each sessions (when u shut down) is this true? if so how od i go about it? As ive noticed everytime i use my mac its seems to get that little bit slower at loading things.

You can try DiskWarrior or Applejack. There is really no need to defrag in OS X. Sometimes caches can slow the computer down. If you are on broadband, you can use Tinkertool to disable the cache in Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
For the view preferences, you need to open your main finder window, click the "gear" icon, click "show view options", then click the box for "all windows" and not "just this window"...that way your preferences will be that way for all windows that finder opens.

As for your remote, I think you may have better luck with an RF remote from Keyspan. I dunno of any bluetooth media remotes yet, but those RF ones work pretty well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4thly Ive heard there are often problems with photoshop cs2 crashing but everytime i go to export a movie from adobe premier the program just crashes. If i re-open then i can then go to export but first time round in a new sessions it just crashes. Any reasons for this?

The Adobe CS2 programs can be buggy in Rosetta, especially Illustrator. Things will be sorted with CS3, which will run properly on Intel Macs, in April/May.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Ok a couple more things.. sorry they just keep on coming!

Ive been using dreamweaver alot today and now all of a sudden ive gone to open it up again after lunch and it wont even open. the little icon bobs up and down and then...nothing. ive tried opening it from the application folder, still doesn't open. Im going to reboot and see if it opens it but it seems like im having alot of problems early on with my mac which is kind of worrying!

also when i put photos on my computer when i first double click to open them they will open in preview... but as soon as ive opened it once in photoshop it will then continue to open that jpg on photoshop. How can i make all jpgs open in preview, all htmls open in safari etc etc

thanks

M

MacHeadCase

For the files opening thingy...

Click once on the file you want to change the Opening by action. Do a Get Info (Command - or Apple key - + I).

In the middle section part of the Get Info window, you will see something like Open with... witha drop-down menu. Click on that drop-down menu and choose the app you would like to se open this file in the future.

Once the app is chosen, just below that you should see another button meaning apply to all or something similar. Click on that button will ensure that all files of the same format will be opened by the app you have chosen.

Close the Get Info window and now you should be good to go. :girl:

Edited to add:

Sorry for not being too precise in my instructions, I'm on a Panther machine at school not on my Tiger machine at home and some bits slightly differ from 10.3.x to 10.4.x.

Classes start in about 5 minutes. ;^)

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah perfect, thanks alot headcase :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

You should get Onyx, it will help you more than a defrag. Every weekend i lean my hard drive and run maintenance scripts (all using Onyx), that helps to speed up OSX. After that i reset the machine, that also helps, it is not as necessary as it is for a Windows machine but it helps from time to time.

Safari allows you to clean the list of downloaded items every time you close it, i think that is what your friend is talking about. For a real clean up, use Onyx.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK i will look into Onyx

Slightly worried now as whenever i try and open photoshop cs1 it starts to load and then comes up that there has been an error and photoshop needs to close and dreamweaver is 50/50 as to whether it opens or not

UPDATE:

I reinstalled dreamwaver and it opens but it takes around 60 seconds or more, i also reinstalled photoshop and its working again now, im hoping its not going to do the same at dreamweaver and slow right down.

Im getting scared now of all these little problems im having after just one week of using my mac

M

MacHeadCase

Which version of DreamWeaver is this? Maybe there is something out there about incompatibilities or workarounds till a Universal Binary is released...

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it was MX 2004 - ive now installed it.. as im having endless problems with it. should i look at getting at getting studio 8? or is there a new dreamweaver set to come out sooon?

Ive also noticed my dashboard. its been the same since the first day i got it when i set it and it used to be real quick at opening, almost instant.. but now it takes over 10 seconds to load...

should i be worried?

according to my istat widget i only have 30mb of RAM free from 2gb.... also slightly worrying. Im only running windows messenger and safari

M

MacHeadCase

Did you google to see what is out there? Like searching for, I dunno, MX 2004 Intel Macs or something? I'd be surprised you're the only one having these problems.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i did some reading on the adobe site. (for anyone whose interested here is the link)

http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfs/intelmacsupport.pdf

it would seem that Dreamweaver 8 might be the best choice to go for, although they could release another version along with adobe creative suite cs3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.