Boot Camp Blackout

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro
I've spent this afternoon trying to get Boot Camp to work on my Mac Pro. I have a second drive that I've dedicated to Windows, and can get through the initial installation process. But once I get Windows loaded and run through the Boot Camp drivers installation, the system reboots and that's it. I get nothing but empty black screens from that point on. The XP shutdown sound when I finally kill the system by holding down the power button seems to indicate that Windows is in fact running, but I can't tell from the screen.

Looking around the net, others seem to have run into the same problem, but I can't find a solution that works for me. I already have the most current EFI from Apple, which seems to be the most commonly recommended "fix".

Parallels is working *great* for me, but I'd like to be able to do some gaming with my monster, too. Anyone have other suggestions on how to get Boot Camp working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
It sounds to me like a video driver isn't getting installed, or perhaps Windows power management is turning off the screen and you can't get it turned back on for some reason. See if you can install again, and while it's installing the Apple driver cd, see if you can adjust the power properties to not turn the screen off...that might be the issue.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro
Problem turned out to be my dual-monitor setup. Unplugged monitor #2, #1 came up fine - downloaded the full/current ATI drivers, and was able to get both monitors working fine. Still have an unknown "Base System Device" showing up in the Device Manager, and can't get the internal speaker silenced, but otherwise everything seems to be running great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.