I messed up bad.

Reaction score
Really bad. Eariler today I was just trying to connect my old 10gig 1st gen iPod and I had a firewire that my friend gave me. He said it worked fine for him and I tryed it and had no luck, at first I thought it was just a general issue but I tryed many things and nothing worked. SO then I started going through the checklist in my mind, I thought that it might be the firewire or the firewire port. I have a 6pin firewire to UBS adapter and thought that mabye by having the 1st 6 pin end pluged into the firwire port on my mac and then the USB plugged into the UBS port on my mac that I could tell if the firewire was damaged or not by it showing my own computer ( ex. found hardware - Sam's Computer ) but no, I got a error message saying that the power input was too great and that somthing was disabled. Now my iSight camera wont work at all. I went into system profiler and it says; iSight camera under USB Hub so I know that it is reconized, im just not getting any feed.

Reaction score
G'day SamCassidy,

Welcome to Mac-Forums. Is your primary concern getting your iSight cam to work again? What are your Mac's specs? Have you restarted your Mac since?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
There no such thing as a firewire -> USB adapter.

Were you using the joint Firewire+USB to iPod dock cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
If you're not using a MacBook or Intel iMac with built-in iSight, you need to unplug your iSight from the firewire while using a firewire iPod. The two don't play nicely together.

OP
S
Reaction score
yes, my primary concern is getting my camera to work agin becasue so far this is the only problem that I have notices. IM using a 7" Intel Mac with a gig of RAM, it has the built in iSight.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have also noticed that one of my USB ports on the back of my Mac eiather isent working or is disabled. I have yet to check the firewire ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
I have a 6pin firewire to UBS adapter and thought that mabye by having the 1st 6 pin end pluged into the firwire port on my mac and then the USB plugged into the UBS port on my mac that I could tell if the firewire was damaged or not by it showing my own computer ( ex. found hardware - Sam's Computer )

This is confusing. That sounds like a Windows XP message. What was the exact configuratio of this setup? It almost reads as thought u connected a PC to your mac through the firewire/USB lead meant for an ipod. Maybe you could clarify a little?

OP
S
Reaction score
DSC_3309.jpg

DSC_3310.jpg

It pluged straight from my first USB Hub to one of the firewire Hubs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
Sounds like you might have had a short somewhere. It happened to my old PC a while ago and the front USB ports no longer work.

OP
S
Reaction score
oh please no .........

it poped up a error message of some sort saying that somthing ( most likly the two ports reciveing a powere overload ) were disabled. I think that is in-protection so that they dont short out. As soon as I saaw the message I unpluged it. Is there a wat to re-enable these ports ?
if that is even what is wrong.

The disabled ports DO have power going to them becasue i can plug my iPod into them and it will charge just not alow it to open in the finder or for the device to be reconized.

Hope that info helps, I was being a little vague before.

M

MacHeadCase

I don't know what we can do here. If your port is fried, it's fried.

I'd be very much surprised if this was a software problem to be honest. Looks like hardware to me.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thats the thing, I DONT think the ports are fried. I think that when it was reconized that they were overloaded with power, that the computer blocked that device from accessing my comouter. The reason I dont think the ports are fried is becasue they still have power going through them, I can plug my camera and iPod into them and it will show that they are connected, with my camera it reconizes that it is connected to my computer and with mmm iPod it charges it.

OP
S
Reaction score
please help me. I dot want to have to ship my mac off if there is just a way that I can reenable them.

Reaction score
Get this app, install it and run Batch Tasks. This will clean up some stuff for you.

Also google for onyx, it's another cleaning tool but I prefer MainMenu.

If nothing happens, then you have to take it in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.