Vnc

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to access a Win XP running UltraVNC Server. I did connect before, but all of a sudden I am not able to connect using my Chicken of the VNC. I keep getting the following error:

Could not connect to server
ip_address:5900

Connection refused: connect()

I haven't changed anything on the server machine. Does anyone know why this is happening? I have ports 5900, 5901, 5800 on the server machine. I can ping the server IP. I ran out of alternatives.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reaction score
I'd start by checking the WinXP UltravVNC server settings making sure the ports weren't changed by accident and that it's still set to accept connections, or that the DSM plugin wasn't enabled by accident. The VNC server has two sets of settings; the default settings, and the current user settings. Both are accessible from the Start menu. You may want to check both of these, but definately you'll want to look at the the current user settings.

Is VNC service started on the WinXP?

By default UltraVNC server allows connections by java-enabled browsers to port 5800. Try to browsing to http://<your address>:5800

If still no go I'd restart the UltraVNC service. UltraVNC has been very stable for me but it's always something to try. Or try restarting the WinXP machine making sure the VNC service starts.

As a last thing if you have the UltraVNC client installed on the WinXP, you might try connecting to itself. You'll get the hall-of-mirrors effect which can be crash the system so I don't really recommend it unless you know what you're doing.

I'm not sure what's 5901 but it sounds like a change from the default so maybe there was another change that's been overlooked.

I've found the UltraVNC community to be active and helpful http://forum.ultravnc.info/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.