cable connection speed drastically slowed

Reaction score
i searched previous threads, and didnt find what i was looking for... i am planning to call apple care, but thought that i would check in with tis gang first.

i have been dealing with a drastically slowed cable internet speed for a few months now. imac g5 with isight. the connection speed was sufficient for almost a year, then a few months ago it started crawling, and sometimes just got dropped. mostly it just crawls at dialup speed.

does anyone have any suggestions? thanks in advance- bk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Have you checked your speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah, this is a job for your ISP.
Calling Apple isn't going to help you in this case.

OP
B
Reaction score
i did not start with the ISP because we have an XP laptop on the same wireless network that performs at expected cable speeds.

i am on hold with my second apple care tech now....

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for replies again. i've been cycling power on the router and modem for months, i wish that was it.

i did solve the problem tho (thanks to the second apple tech i got, the first was worthless and unprofessional). it was a wireless router firmware update. evidently one of the last osX updates was not playing nicely with my old router firmware.

thanks again guys. hopefully this thread will help someone with a similar problem in the future... ie, when all else fails, make sure you have the latest firmware on your peripherals. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.