Server 2003 upgrade woes file associations w/OS X Mac

K

klempit

We just did a clean install of Windows Server 2003 on our network and have a major headache. Some file associations have gone awry on files stored on the server, and our Mac can't open them with the appropriate application. Our Quark files appear to be "Unix Executable File" with create date of December 31, 1903. No matter what we do, we don't seem to be able to reassign these files to Quark (the dialog to open with an application won't allow the selection of any application). We've also noticed that some .psd (photoshop) files open with Previewer instead of Photoshop.

Is this a virus? or is there a problem with OS X and Windows Server 2003? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

windows server 2003 has probably changed the default applications to open the files types..have you tried to rename the extension back to .qxd or . psd or even in the mac os right click or crtl click the file and choose open with and select the application...thats really the only think i can think of..the installation of 2003 server shouldnt rename or change file extensions only perhaps change the default program assoisated with it

Reaction score
I am having the same problem but a different cause I have 4 Mac's connected to a 2003 server all were working fine. One of the Mac's hard drives failed and I had to replace it and reload the software and it now has the same issue with the files on the server.

Have tried the above with no success any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
You should not store Mac files on a Windows Server!!!! Mac files require HFS volumes to correctly store their resource fork data.

They would need to be stored in a compressed format only.

Standard practice should be storing Mac files on Windows servers in archived format, either .zip or .sit. Then copy the compressed files down to the Mac, work on them and recopress and copy back to windows.

Or get an Xserve.

You are not alone,...this has happened to alot of people.

Reaction score
i have solved the problem here and hope this helps.

when the user was searching for the server they were searching the domain and when connecting to the server using smb/cifs. however when searching my network it uses the MSUAM (from Microsoft) this must be installed on the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You should not store Mac files on a Windows Server!!!! Mac files require HFS volumes to correctly store their resource fork data.
OS X will create two files on file systems that do not support resource forks. This is known as the Apple Double Format and if I remember right, has been around longer than OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.