Read receipts in Mail??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Are they called something else (that i have not understood yet) or does the functionality simply not exist?

M

MacHeadCase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
WOW! Never dreamed all that was available. Lots of thanks...you are always very helpful.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just keep in mind that read receipts are not part of the POP3 protocol, so any recipient (even those using Outlook) can deny or in some cases, will not respond to a read receipt request. To be honest, they're just about useless unless you're working on an Exchange-based system. Even then, if your administrator doesn't lock it down, people will be notified that there's a read receipt and can choose to acknowledge or deny it.

Also, sometimes spammers use read receipts to determine whether or not there's a living person on the other end of an email address. If you acknowledge spam, this will get you placed on a "gold" list of more desirable email addresses and will like incite more junk.

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Thanks for the hints for where to look for it.

Even though people you send mails to can deny to send a read receipt, I think it still has a value in those cases that they do not and you actually get it back. But that might be just a habit I got from using Out-Look before......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.