Time/clock problems with XP/OSX

Reaction score
Everytime I open up XP, the time gets screwed up when I go back to OSX. Anyone know how to fix this?

Also, does anyone know how to change the default OS? Somehow, it made XP my default system but I want OSX to be the default. Thanks in advance.

By the way, when you answer, please try to be very explicit as I've only owned a Mac for about a week and have had PCs for about 15 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
The time is a common problem, however after a few minutes on-line seems to correct itself, at least for me.

In Windows XP go to your Control Panel -> Startup Disk and choose Mac OS X and click restart. This will always boot into Mac.

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem with the clock. It does not bother me when I am running windows, but when I go back to my mac partition, I have to make sure that the clock is at its normal time being that I use my iCal + Automator as my alarm clock every morning! Maybe there is a way to use automator to update the time every time you log in? Otherwise, I have to open up date and time and close it for the clock to change to the actual time (I have my clock set to sync with apple's).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
Usually when I boot into my mac partition I just single click on the date/time on the top right and it'll go back to the right time. I hope mac will fix this, I really don't know why there seems to be a problem with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Why is the time different between Mac OS X and Windows XP on my computer?

This issue is addressed in Boot Camp Beta 1.1.

With earlier versions of Boot Camp Beta, the Windows XP and Mac OS X operating systems handle your computer's date and time information differently, so the date and time may be different when you switch operating systems. For best results, use a network time server and resync the date and time whenever you switch operating systems. In Mac OS X, use the “Set date & time automatically” option in the Date & Time preferences. In Windows XP, click the Update Now button in the “Date and Time Properties” control panel.

Reaction score
Still doing it

I'm having this problem too. I'm using the latest version of Boot Camp (1.1.2). I'm in US Eastern time zone (GMT -0500), and Windows and Mac OS are consistently 5 hours apart. If I correct the time in one OS, then boot to the other, the other is off by 5 hours. It seems as though one operating system is adjusting for the -0500 offset and the other is assuming that the time set in EFI is already adjusted.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think what's happening is very similar to what you see when you dual-boot Linux with Windows. Windows assumes the time is set to the actual time for your time zone. Linux calculates the time based on offset to GMT. OS X, being based on UNIX likely treats the internal time clock in a similar manner.

Can anyone verify?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.