Boot problem - Kernel Panic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1
(I don't know if this is posted in the right forum since I don't know if the issue is hardware or software related. If not, can moderator please move it the appropriate forum?)

First of all I am quite new to MACs. I received my first Macbook just before Christmas and have spend my time getting to know the Mac. I know my way around a PC quite well. Until now the MAcbook has behaved flawlessly except to some minor problems. I have reinstalled the OSX once since my purchase due to a boot camp install.

However, the problem started today when my Macbook froze while working on some Flash programming in OSX. I had parallels open. I had to perform a "push off button" reset since the MAC didn't respond to anything else.

Since then I haven't managed to boot OSX. I can, however, boot windows, but I have to be quick to change the options when windows asks me to open either "Parallels" or "WinXP" as if I have two WINXP. When I boot the former, It can not find a spesific hal.dll file and therefore not boot. I have never seen the "Parallels" option either when booting into XP before now.

When I try to to boot OSX I get a kernel panic window

kernel.jpg

I have tried the following.

- Deep hardware scan which resulted in no problems
- fsck scan and resulted in healthy disk (single user mode). When I type "exit" afterwards it froze after showing the Kernel version. I don¨t know if this is correct.

What really bothers me is that it won't even load the install disk, but it does with a hardware scan. Can anybody help me with this? I have read several threads out there on the issue, but failed to find a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
i got this when i first installed windows.
it happened twice on startup, but then stopped.
i cant remember what i did (if anything) to solve it, but if you havent already try resetting PRAM. cmd opt p r. (simultaneously)

Your mac may be holding some windows memory that is causing a conflict...idk

try it though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
and if this doesnt work, then pop in your tiger install disk and use disk utility to find out if something has happened to your partitions.

do a disk repair if it allows.

sorry if you have already tried this. good luck

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1
I just phoned Apple and it seems to be a quite peculiar problem since it won't boot from install disc and hardware tests shows that it is OK. The guy at the store had never heard of it when I handed it in a few minutes ago.

I am eager to see what the problem is and I will post the result in this thread when I receive more information.

Thanks for all advice.

Reaction score
I had this problem last week, my macbook was less than a week old and they did a straight swap for a new one. It did it to me when i had an ethernet cable plugged in while it was starting up. Not sure if that was the actual reason or just a coincidence. It's done it once with my new macbook but i find as long as there is no cable in while it is starting up it is fine, when everything is loaded i can plug in my internet and everything is fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1
I received my MAC from service on Monday. They ran DiskWArrior and repaired the harddisk. Now it runs quite smoothly.

Thank you for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Kernel Panic on MacBook after installing Blackberry program

I am new at this, but need help. I was trying to help my husband with his phone. I followed the phone's manufacturer's suggestions and it told me load software for managing it. When I went to install it the computer told me it had 59 things to install. It was late, I was tired and shouldn't have been doing this at this time. I did, when it was done installing we had a kernel panic. I am in a different country, in a village. No MacStore! I am frightened and worried. I am computer literate for a woman my age, but still. If it is to be resolved I will have to do it and I wish the kids were here with their friends.
I am hoping someone will be able to talk me out of this predicament.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.