Fat32?

Reaction score
I have a External USB HDD, but having issues with the format of it.

Currently it is running FAT32, however I beleive for it to run faster and for me to have ore control over it I will need to format to the OSX format OS Extended.

However I Also use this on Windows machines I assume then I will not be able to read this on a windows machine

OP
T
Reaction score
Would it be worth partitioning my HDD 250gig, so I have 1/2 FAT32 and the other 1/2 as OSX , and if so where can I find an app that will do this?

M

MacHeadCase

FAT32 is readable on both platforms. If you format the drive to HFS+, (the Mac format), Windows won't be able to read it.

Edited to add:

Oops! Sorry. I didn't really answer your question here... In my defence, I haven't had any coffee yet this morning and my head is full of sleep-bugs... :^P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Disk Utility can do it. With the drive plugged in, open Disk Utility and click the drive and a 'Partition' tab will appear. Select a 2 partition layout and set one of them to be a Windows/MS-DOS partition. When you click the 'Erase' button it will apply the new scheme and the drive should appear as 2 mounted volumes, one HFS+ formatted and one FAT32.

OP
T
Reaction score
So peoples opinions then ?

The reason I am doing it is becuase everytime I take the HDD to a Windows PC and create files etc. when back on the mac i cannot delete them or do anything with them other than read.
Do most of you have it has fat32 if you use both machines or do you have partitions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have a few drives formatted as FAT32. Haven't had any problems like what you described, and they are used cross-platform. Maybe a fresh erase and reformat as FAT 32 would fix your problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you are feeling adventurous, the Linux standard ext2 file system is supported on both Windows and Mac. ext2 is an excellent choice because it preserves owner and permission attributes from your Mac.

For Windows ext2 support, see:

http://www.fs-driver.org/

For Mac ext2 support see:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.