Entourage, gmail or ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Does gmail even compare to Entourage or is there even something that offers more than either one? When I say more, I mean font choices, stationery, nice layout (which I know is personal pref), etc. I'm not really crazy about .mac mail and my isp doesn't offer much either. On my PC I used Outlook Express and it was nice. Any opinions welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
The mail app that comes with OS X is what I've found to be most useful. It allows me to read my gmail or .mac mai w/o having to run through safari/firefox etc. I don't know if the fonts/prefs will satisfy you but the program is simple & effective, give it a go!:bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo processor / 15" / 120Gb HD / SuperDrive / Express / Firewire / Tiger OS X
Entourage would be the closest thing to Outlook and offers all that you've mentioned.

Reaction score
You can enable pop3 in Gmail and just use Entourage as your client.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I like the idea of using the OS X mail app for that reason (not having to go through my browser). So guess I'll try gmail rather than Entourage (especially if Entourage is inconvenient to open.) Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am a big fan of Mozilla Thunderbird. It is the best standalone email client I have ever used, and it keeeps its email in industry standard MBX format which means that you can easily move to another client if you wish. By contrast, Mac Mail does not do this (anymore - it used to up to Tiger, but then they changed it to make it easer for Spotlight to search individual emails).

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll check it out. Thanks!

T

todd51

How do you use the OS X mail client with gmail? Can anyone shed some light for me on this?

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just need to sign up for Gmail and configure it to work with your OSX mail client. I still haven't done it because OSX is not listed in the gmail list of clients. So I'm stuck in that part of the process. I was given great directions on another thread, so if you do a search you can see detailed steps on how to do it. Also, you don't need an invite to use gmail now. Just go to the google site and get it.

T

todd51

Cool, now my question is that, whenever I receive emails..are they still stored online through google? Or does it save them to my hard drive?

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wondering how to "choose" OSX Mail client when it's not listed. Then gmail says if it's not listed it can't be used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.