I am on the edge here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
So, my question is two-fold.

First...should I get a Mac? I need a major hardware upgrade on my current PC. But I am contemplating a Mac instead. I have two major projects coming up:

- Convert all of our old VHS home videos into digital
- Create a literary magazine for our community

Would a Mac help me with these to the extent that it is worth the extra money? I can probably guess what your answer is, so I will move on to the next question.

What Mac should I get?

I need to do the things listed above, plus I would like it for media, some gaming, and just pleasure. For reasons of my own, I really do not want an iMac. This leaves the Mac Pro and the laptops. The Mac Pro would be amazing. I already have a 37" LCD screen I am using now. However, the portablility of the laptops would be extremely convenient.

I guess I am leaning towards the MacBook Pro. I can get a refurbished one for a cheaper price, and I think it will give me enough power for years to come.

Any suggestions?
TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It looks like you already made up your mind. The macbook pro will be powerful enough to do what you have mentioned, and will last you quite some time. If you have any more questions just let us know.. If you would like more detail why i think the macbook pro suits you I would be happy to elaborate on my opinion but i am going out with my friend for her birthday now so maybe when I get back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
get a macbook
the keyboard is a million times better then the pros
try them both out and you will definitely notice a difference
and i heard that the pros run hotter then the macbooks

but the pros casing is a lot more durable then the easily scratched macbooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I would say go to an Apple store or even a CompUSA and play around with what they have there. See what you like. Some people dislike the feel of the MacBook keyboard, but I am a huge fan. The only problem is there would be no immediate way to put your VHS into digital format. You would have to get a USB or FireWire adapter of some sort. It would definitely be a great computer and last you many years though.

OP
cheesybanana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I would say go to an Apple store or even a CompUSA and play around with what they have there. See what you like. Some people dislike the feel of the MacBook keyboard, but I am a huge fan. The only problem is there would be no immediate way to put your VHS into digital format. You would have to get a USB or FireWire adapter of some sort. It would definitely be a great computer and last you many years though.

I actually already have an adapter, so that is not a problem.

I will take a trip up to the store near us. I've been there once before, but I wasn't specifically looking for a computer there at the time.

Thanks for the suggestions so far :p

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Tough question, only had my MacBookPro for 3 weeks now. Bought it primarily due to the hardware specs and not wanting a 17" laptop. Equivalent specs in a PC, only options found were in the 17" size and they were a minimum of $700 - $1500 more expensive than the MBP and the MBP is a nice lookin piece of hardware.

Either a Mac or a PC will accomplish the primary tasks you have listed with the proper add-ons. I think when I actually do replace my desktop later this year, I'll have an extremely tough decision to make regarding the Mac Pro or a PC.

For gaming, there are enough games for the Mac to keep a mild gamer happy unless you just have to have a specific game that is not being ported to the Mac.

If you have been a long time computer enthusiast, e.g. building new or continuously upgrading, into overclocking, etc., don't think any laptop would satisfy as a desktop replacement. See one of my previous posts - http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48686&highlight=comparison

If you have not been into having to have the latest and greatest hardware, the MBP probably would service you well for several years. Think I would encourage upgrading to the 7200 rpm hard drive.

But, still considering the MPB, the Mac Pro, and a PC - that's a lot of ground - you'll need to narrow down what it is you want a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just because you said gaming, you should avoid the smaller Macbook because of its integrated video. It just won't cut it when it comes to games. The Macbook Pro, on the other hand, has a dedicated video card that will do pretty well in games. However, you WILL have to dual boot Windows and Mac OS X in order to play games as virtualization software (i.e. Parallels, VMWare) doesn't support 3D apps as of yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.