imac conflict os11?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac os 10
I installed panther on my imac, that cool et looking model, going from 10.2 .8.

The third install cd said something about os11. It seems firefox and a few other things are quirky. any feedback?

On startup it was all blue then I had to restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X Tiger, which is version 10.4 is the latest.

What do you mean by quirky?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Correct me if I am wrong, but you are probably referring to X11.
It isn't necessary unless you plan on running open source apps that require it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Actually, MHC, both of those apps have versions that don't need X11.

M

MacHeadCase

Really? Oh well guess I was looking at an older page for the downloads. :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gimpshop is not X11 dependent, Gimp.app is, both very similar, and open source. NeoOffice is a clone of OpenOffice, just like Gimpshop, doesn't require X11.

M

MacHeadCase

From this page, it seems OpenOffice does require X11? Or do I have it wrong? *Scratches head*

I know NeoOffice does not need X11, I always thought OpenOffice did...

Mac OS X (X11)
Power Mac G3 400Mhz or higher
Mac OS X 10.3.x (10.3.5 recommended), Mac OS X 10.4.x
256Mbytes RAM
350Mbytes available disk space
X11 required. Available for OS X 10.3 on Apple.com here and for OS X 10.4 on the OS X install disc. The instructions for Tiger users are here.
800 x 600 or higher resolution with 16.7 Million colours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, thats what I was saying NeoOffice is a clone of OpenOffice, the only differences are that OpenOffice needs X11, where NeoOffice doesn't.

M

MacHeadCase

Understood.

Oh crap! I would advise not to link to the GIMPShop website it has been hacked it seems and there is a Phishing notice on the page.

Anyway I think we were both right Stretch, I posted earlier of OpenOffic not NeoOffice needing X11. Can't check GIMPShop for now but I am sure you are right on this.

BTW can anything happen to me now that I went to that darn page? :radioacti

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac os 10
this is over my head- I have a half a gig of ram ( 525?) so upgrading would help I bet. The blue screen issue I hope will not return.... It is an old machine but I love it. Wheree do you all buy mamory and is it hard to put in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
OpenOffice.org does require X11 in its current incarnation. There is a development project to get a version that doesn't, but at the moment there is no downloadable version. NeoOffice is the only version of the OpenOffice codebase that doesn't need X11 at the moment.

As for the Gimp, there is no version that doesn't depend on X11 in some way or another. Gimp.app (the 'official' version) needs X11, and Gimpshop is just the same as Gimp.app with reordered menus. It still needs X11.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac os 10
ok lets rephrase this since those apps you all mentioned don't relate to me.

My imac does not seem to want to take the second panther cd. It had developed some kernal panic blue screen death issue which we fixed. We hope. When I tried to re upgrade to Panther it returned.
I am running os 10.2.8 and can not seem to upgrade. I have only 525 ram with one slot open. I love the computer but with all the talk on this site of changing the harddrive I am wondering if it is cost effective and what I should do.
Keep the machine which has developed this blue screen kernal panic problem, that I THINK? I have isolated to the PANTHER Upgrade? OR buy new? The panther cd I bought long ago and I think was, a family Cd but maybe not. Could that be it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.