Photoshop Elements 4 Mac Vs Photoshop CS2 PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey everyone!

On my mac, i run Photoshop elements 4 but have terrible performance issues.
Loading an image takes some time, and applying filters can take anywhere from 2 to 5 minuites which is mad.

On my PC desktop (shudders) i run Photoshop CS2 and it runs amazing. I can apply filters near instant!

Now i understand that Mac version of photoshop runs under rosetta, meaning it wont be as efficient but should it REALLY be that slow?

My mac currently has 512mb Ram, buy having 1Gb will that help a lot?

Current specs for both rigs (mac first pc second)

2.0Ghz Dual Core Intel Duo Core / 3.0Ghz P4
512mb DDR2 ram / 1Gb DDR ram
80gb HDD / 200GB HDD

~~ TS ~~

M

MacHeadCase

You have to keep in mind that Rosetta is a translation tool and yes it will slow PSE down a lot. Just look at the reviews on Photoshop CS3 (which is a Universal Binary version) that concern the Intel-based Macs (and might I add that Photoshop is a lot heftier app than Elements is) and you'll see what I mean.

It's not, I don't think that Adobe made Photoshop CS3 more efficient: on the contrary apps get features added, hence the code is more complex as versions get upgraded.

More RAM can't hurt for sure and would help you right now in your computing. But if ever you plan on upgrading to a Universal Binary version of Elements in the future, you'll see a huge difference performance-wise, I would think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It is definitely the ram that is causing your problem. Being that you are running an application in roessta it is very memory intensive.. even if is Microsoft word, let alone photoshop. IF you upgrade the ram you will notice a very large increase in speed, all around your computer not only rossetta running apps.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers MacHeadCase and PBG4 :D

If i chuck 1Gb in my mac then, for now it should tide me over?

Im not looking for blistering speed since i dont use it that often. But when i do, it would be nice to be able to use filter commands without the ability to make coffee in between each action lol :)

Is there a projected release date for the UB version of photoshop/elements? as i would also consider upgrading to escape the rosetta situation!

~~ TS ~~

M

MacHeadCase

I seem to recall, but am not sure 100%, that it should be around next June? Anyone else on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
you can get the beta now with your elements serial number ( i can not guarantee this information is correct, but they are doing it for photoshop so I think they are doing it for their whole line.)

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just so people know, the release date is meant to be around spring...

With the final shipping release of Adobe Photoshop CS3 planned for spring 2007.
- Taken from the Beta release info on Adobe's site

~~ TS ~~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.