Writing DVD+R DL discs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Hey people,

Just got back from the shops with some TDK Double-layer DVD's +R to backup some music and video's but Toast refuses to write. I can write DVD's of single layer nature but I ran out of those.

I did check on the Apple.com site to see if the SuperDrive is DL compatible, which it states it is on the Spec's page.

Does anyone know if there's a fix etc for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
do you have a dvd burner? first good question

oops you do.... try to update toast?

OP
symondavis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Toast is upto date plus DiskUtil doesnt want to know either when I give it an imagefile to burn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Which macbook do you have? The new C2D macbooks have dual layer drives, but the older CoreDuo macbooks only support single layer burning. To do dual layer on an original CD macbook, you'll need to get an external burner, which will probably be much faster than the built in one anyway.

OP
symondavis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah crap, thats a pain in the rectum then. I have the older MacBook.
Suppose my superdrive is no longer super.

I thought only the CPU and RAM was changed! BumFlaps.

So....

Does anyone know if you can flash the drives Firmware to allow DL writing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
You can't flash the drives. The laser focussing system on DL drives is completely different to SL drives. The cheapest and easiest way is to get an external DL burner.

OP
symondavis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Grrrrr this makes me unhappy.

I'll just fleabay the DL disc's I have and get SL disc's. Bloody Apple changing the spec's it annoys me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.