Freaking flickering, experiences with applecare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've searched the forum for some answers and found perhaps one or two other people with this issue. The screen on my macbook seems to flicker frequently and it is frequently enough and noticeable enough to be pretty annoying.

What can I expect to occur if I walk into an apple store with it and they reproduce the problem there? Do I have to wait weeks while it is sent away for repair?

Will it make any difference if I just call applecare?

It stinks, I simply do not want to be sans macbook, the semester is starting and this is my notebook for every class along with my communication box with the rest of the world :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
jus walk into the store and they will change it

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean exchange the entire macbook? I hear that Apple offers excellent customer support but that seems a little unrealistic considering I assume they do not even sell the Core Duo macbooks anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
They will change the screen. The rule with Apple is that they will try to fix it 3 times. If it still doesn't work they will replace the machine. The flickering macbook screen is a known issue with some machines so it shouldn't be hard to convince them to help you.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds reasonable. What is the average turn around time on a repair like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
probably a couple days at most if they have the screen

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in the store right now and what do you know, the screen will not flicker no matter how much I threaten it. Oh well, maybe it scared itself into working at the thought of a warranty repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol so what did you end up doing

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, they did some obvious things like resetting the pram, ect. No flickering while in the store, I guess that none is occurring now either :). I also pointed out the slight warping of the actual body of the computer and was told that that is a problem that they will fix (by replacing the top panel surrounding the keyboard) as it is under warranty. I think that I will definitely bring it in over spring break. I'm still waiting for some more screen flickerage however.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also bought a miniDVI to DVI converter because I've always wanted one. Time to put my 19'' widescreen to good use (it's normally just for games and DVD's via my PC) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I brought mine in monday around noon and it was done thursday morning. BACK UP YOUR DATA THOUGH! They told me it sounded definitely like a hardware problem so I didnt opt for the $85 data back up and all they did was replace the HDD. I've had the computer back for a few days now obviously and haven't had the problem

100% covered by warranty and they didn't ask me to recreate the problem in the store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
did your problem ever get fixed? They fixed my by replacing the HDD, but now its doing it again. Cazabam, can you confirm the 3 repairs=replacement rule?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
They had to replace the logic board on my Macbook. I just got it back today. I think I took it in Wednesday of last week, so it's not that bad, really. And that wasn't even an Apple Store, that was CompUSA.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CompUSA you say? Do they sell Macs? No, the issue was not resolved and the problem is still present. I simply couldn't reproduce it in the store. I am going back in March during spring break to have my discolored palm rest replaced so hopefully I will be able to reproduce it there. The flicker (when it does happen) drives me crazy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They didn't ask me to reproduce my problem. My CompUSA does, but I think that's because I'm over a hundred and thirty miles away from the nearest Apple Store in either direction.

You can use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to get rid of those palm rest stains, by the way.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha, Mr. Clean? Excellent. No, I prefer to have the top panel replaced as it has a small gap in a corner and whatnot, the discoloration is just a minor issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh, I should've caught that from the previous post. :p

Best of luck with the flickering screen issue. I'm sure they'll make sure everything is up to spec before giving it back to you anyway.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a significant possibility, hopefully they will spend a few minutes looking at the machine (on) while replacing the cover, it doesn't take very long.

What is annoying is that right now as I look at my screen, there is no flickering. Try as I might to watch for flickering while opening and closing the lid, it doesn't happen. My macbook is very picky about when it does and does not want to work :p

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as the problem is duplicated for a genius, I don't care where it goes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.