Macbook: WHAT AN INCREDIBLE PIECE OF MACHINERY!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I've messed around on my macbook for the last few days since I got it. I must have spent a total of 6 hours in the last 2 days getting to know it and all I can really say is that it is INCREDIBLE. I had never spent 6 hours on a PC without wanting to pull my hair out. Mac OS X Tiger seems to be eons ahead of Windows XP, technologically speaking. The 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor paired with the 2GB RAM makes this thing as fast as I've ever seen a computer go. Apple has won me over, and after my dad saw it he's now considering getting a Mac desktop. The best part was during the setup when it automatically detected my home wireless network. Anything I try to do with this OS is effortless. And the internet is screaming fast from anywhere in the house. This is a great technological masterpiece and I cannot wait to see what Apple does next with its notebooks. I'll never use a PC again. Great job Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
amen to that amen ;)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
love mine too!

Reaction score
my 1.83 core duo macbook with 2 gig of ram in my baby! haha
i really want to upgrade my combo drive to a superdrive. is that possible to do by myself?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't think you can do that without voiding the warranty.

i need to do the 2G ram upgrade. will probably help me run civ4 a lot better!

Reaction score
that hurts that it would void the warranty. theres no way to do this without voiding the warranty?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ask apple to do it.
or
get a firewire/usb dvd burner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Best idea would be to get an external burner. For one, they are usually around 2 times as fast as any built-in burner could be, for hardware space reasons. The second reason is that if Apple is unwilling to do a hard drive upgrade on a MacBook Pro (the case has to be disassembled, unlike the MacBook), I highly doubt they would take on something as involved as an optical drive upgrade.

Reaction score
Hey, I'm totally new around here.. and I still haven't bought my macbook (can't wait for it, though), but I am having some questions...
My Desktop PC's motherboard was killed, but I believe that the hard drive in it hasn't been killed too... so, I was wondering if after I turn my old HD into an external drive using an USB cable to connect it to the computer, will the mac recognize the thingy as an external drive like a PC would, and if yes, will I have any troubles moving things from the external drive to the internal drive, even if WinXP is installed in the external drive? BTW, my HD had two partitions before, will that interfere on the way I see things?

Sorry if i may sound stupid or ignorant, I just really wanted to know... Hope someone call help me out .. :)

Thanks in advance

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you can mount the old drive in an external case (10-30 bucks), either usb, firewire, or both.

the drive will almost definitely be recognized unless there is some weird issue with the drive.
you will be able to copy anything on it to your mac.
you may or may not be able to write to it, modify stuff on it, or delete anything from it. if it is formatted NTFS, you will only be able to read. if it is formatted FAT32 or FAT16, you're good to go.

if it is formatted NTFS, copy anything off of it that you want to save, then in the mac's disk utility you can reformat as fat32 to have the best compatability between macs and pcs.

Reaction score
you can mount the old drive in an external case (10-30 bucks), either usb, firewire, or both.

the drive will almost definitely be recognized unless there is some weird issue with the drive.
you will be able to copy anything on it to your mac.
you may or may not be able to write to it, modify stuff on it, or delete anything from it. if it is formatted NTFS, you will only be able to read. if it is formatted FAT32 or FAT16, you're good to go.

if it is formatted NTFS, copy anything off of it that you want to save, then in the mac's disk utility you can reformat as fat32 to have the best compatability between macs and pcs.

Thanks so much for your help!! :D I really appreciate it :)

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Apple, mac, OS X all rule oh and intel cores.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.