Strange goings on - disks not ejecting/system locking up

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've had a mac pro for about 3 months now and everything has been running fine. I'm not sure what has changed, aside from fitting a new hard drive (Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB) and a second DVD-R drive.

Everything seems to be running fine to start with and then after an hour or two, things start beginning to act funny. For example, I'm unable to eject a disc in the DVD drive - I'll press eject and the icon will disappear off the desktop/finder but the disk won't actually eject. And then they'll appear again in the finder but clicking on the eject button next to the name will result in "The volume for XX cannot be found.". I find I'm unable to shut down properly - shutting down will close all the applications but then once finder looks like it has closed, it will just sit there with the background image and the mouse pointer but not actually shut down and will need the power button being held down to shut it down.

I reinstalled the system thinkng I might have installed something that disagreed with it (installed beta versions of Parallels an VMWare Fusion), but this didn't solve the problem so I'm a little stuck/concerned. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Welly

OP
W
Reaction score
Alright, it seems to be just the optical drives which seems to be at fault. It works fine initially, however after some time, it won't eject, so I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware fault. Would really, really appreciate any suggestions on what is up with this.

Thanks,

Welly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 Dual 2Ghz 4GB RAM ATI 9800XT 256MB
Which optical drive did you use? Pioneer DVR-111? Also, I've never had good luck with Western Digital drives. Maxtor and Seagate (in that order) have always been solid. I would back up all your data to an external FireWire 800 drive (or similar) and start fresh and even re-format the drive. Is the firmware up to date on your MacPro? Be sure to do all the rituals: zap the PRAM, repair disk permissions, etc. Have you run Tech Tool?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.