Exif Data???

Reaction score
This may be a software question but its also a photography question for use on my iBook.

I am new to the Mac world. I have been using PC for a long time and just recently switched to Mac.

I do alot of photography work and when I was using PC, there was a program called Opanda IExif that gave me all kinds of digital photography image data information including info about my camera.
Opanda doesn't seem to offer something for Mac users so my question is,...Is there anything else out there like Opanda IExif for use on Mac???

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Good ol Preview, which comes on every Mac, does this. Open your image, then Select Tools, Get Info. It displays most of the EXIF info, nicely organized into three tabs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
What editing software are you using? All of them that I use have this information in the file properties...photoshop, lightroom, bridge, nikon capture.

If you are wanting to see the exif on photos posted to the web, firefox has an extension that works well FxIF 0.2.2

OP
K
Reaction score
I am using photoshop cs on my mac now. But the Opanda IExif software I used on a windows PC showed me lots more info about a digital image I just shot and even stuff about my camera like how many Shutter Releases on Camera already, Lens info used, etc just like this list which I just copied from Opanda IExif on my PC....>>> I am just looking for something equivalent that would provide me with such data and I dont think photoshop cs or anything included on my OSX Tiger shows such data unless I am not looking in the right place or using the right software???

Make = NIKON CORPORATION
Model = NIKON D70
Orientation = top/left
Software = Ver.2.00
Date Time = 2006-11-09 14:26:42

[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/125"
F Number = F22
Exposure Program = Shutter priority
Exif Version = Version 2.21
Date Time Original = 2006-11-09 14:26:42
Date Time Digitized = 2006-11-09 14:26:42
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Max Aperture Value = F3.48
Metering Mode = Pattern
Light Source = unknown
Flash = Off
Focal Length = 18mm
Maker Note = 26430 Byte
User Comment =
Subsec Time =
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 3008
Exif Image Height = 2000
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
File Source = DSC
Scene Type = A directly photographed image
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Digital Zoom Ratio = 1x
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 27mm
Scene Capture Type = Normal
Gain Control = None
Contrast = Soft
Saturation = High saturation
Sharpness = Hard
Subject Distance Range = unknown

[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 160 x 120

[MakerNote (Nikon)]
Makernote Version = 0210
ISO Speed Used = 200
Quality = FINE
White Balance = AUTO
Sharpening = HIGH
Focus Mode = AF-S
Flash Setting = NORMAL
Auto Flash Mode =
White Balance Bias Value = 0
000D = 00, 01, 06, 00
Exposure Diff = 00, 01, 0C, 00
ThumbOffset = 1430
Flash Compensation = 00, 01, 06, 00
ISO Speed Requested = 200
Photo corner coordinates = 0, 0, 3008, 2000
0017 = 00, 01, 06, 00
Flash Bracket Compensation Applied = 00, 01, 06, 00
AE Bracket Compensation Applied = 0EV
Tone Compensation (Contrast) = AUTO
Lens Type = Nikon D series Lens
Lens Min/Max Focal Length, Max Aperture = 180/10, 700/10, 35/10, 45/10
Flash Used = Flash Not Used
Auto Focus Area = 01, 00, 00, 01
Bracketing & Shooting Mode = 0
008A = 0
008B = 40, 01, 0C, 00
Colour Mode = MODE1a
Lighting Type = NATURAL
Hue Adjustmen = 0
Noise Reduction = OFF

Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera = 15878

Image optimisation = CUSTOM
Saturation = ENHANCED
Digital Vari-Program =

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, I have to retract my Preview comment. It doesn't do all that. I tried GIMP too, and it doesn't present that much information either. I am not aware of any apps at all that would show that much info.

I hunted around and found:

http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

I haven't tried it, but it has good reviews, and says it is very complete in what it presents.

Also, EXIF Viewer, which describes itself as a Mac OS X EXIF viewer:

http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/

OP
K
Reaction score
ah, ....I see now in "Preview" / tools / get info / details

well thats most of the exif stuff I am looking for...just not the number of Shutter Releases is to be listed among other stuff not listed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I am not sure all of that information will be found in any of the ones I mentioned, however unsure how useful most of it is.

If your concerned about total actuations there is an application for OSX, my father uses it and I could get the name. I do not use the information.

There is an application named Reveal that I have never used but have heard talked about.

On apples site are these, Capture one is a pro image editor/converter and may do it. I used it briefly but did not like the interface enough to keep going with it:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/imaging_3d/ffview.html

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/imaging_3d/captureone.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FFView looks really interesting, and it has the unique ability to use voice commands (speech recognition) to navigate among pictures you are viewing. For example, you can say "Next" and "Previous" to move to the next or previous images in a folder of images. That is kind of neat.

HOWEVER, nowhere can I find a list of the supported voice commands. I am sure it must be there and I am just missing it. Can anyone point me to it?

M

MacHeadCase

Hey I downloaded and briefly tried this little app and I love it!

Loads up my .CR2 files and allows slideshows with the name of the file you are viewing at the bottom left hand side and its resolution. Glad I found this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacHeadCase, thanks very, very much! Unfortunatly the forum won't let me bump your user rep right now, but I will try again some time later.

CocoViewX is the PERFECT app for creating HTML web page image galleries! It is a wonderful viewer all by itself, but it creates marvellously simple and well thought out web page galleries for folders of images. Unlike iWeb for example, it does not constrain the size of the image either.

Wonderful, just wonderful. I have been looking for an app like this for some time - thanks again MacHeadCase!

M

MacHeadCase

Happy you like it too, mac57! Some freeware/shareware developers are so fantastic! I greatly admire them and they help the Mac be this good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.