Free word processors for mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 ghz core duo 2. 2gb ram ddr2, 60gb hard drive, superdrive. ipod video 30gb. Iphone
I had microsoft office suite for my mac on testdrive and did not really like it. Does any one use any good word processing apps? Being a student, i tend to use word processors a lot and currently text edit is a bit low key for me.... :blind:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Also check out the excellent Abiword at www.abisource.com. After you try out NeoOffice (and you have already tried out MS-Word) you will be AMAZED at how fast Abiword loads and runs. It reads and writes .doc format as well as its own much more compact .abw format. Abiword is joy to use.

BTW, Abiword has been a staple in the open source Linux world for years. It is a very well developed, featurefull and mature word processor.

OP
Angelojoseph17
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 ghz core duo 2. 2gb ram ddr2, 60gb hard drive, superdrive. ipod video 30gb. Iphone
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
Also check out the excellent Abiword at www.abisource.com. After you try out NeoOffice (and you have already tried out MS-Word) you will be AMAZED at how fast Abiword loads and runs. It reads and writes .doc format as well as its own much more compact .abw format. Abiword is joy to use.

BTW, Abiword has been a staple in the open source Linux world for years. It is a very well developed, featurefull and mature word processor.

I used Abiword on Windows quite a bit, but was disappointed to find that the toolbar has a major display problem when used on Intel Macs. The developers know about it, but say they need an Intel Mac in order to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I havent' used Abiword before, never heard of it either, will have to check it out. But we use Neooffice at work on Intel iMacs. Its a little slow to load, but then all Java apps are slow to load. It has most of the features of MS Office, and can read/write MS office formats, so you can use files between both apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.