New iPhone FAQ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
David Pogue has published a great FAQ on the iPhone. You can read it by clicking here.

I am a new user to the Mac world, but I have been using smartphones since the Treo 300. When I moved to go to school, I scaled back my phone to a Motorola Q for financial reasons, but I have been surprised at how much I like this phone. When I bought my new MacBook, I knew I was paying slightly more than I would for a similarly equipped PC. But, I felt that I was getting extra value for my money. Here is a list of things that would make me think twice about getting an iPhone even if I could afford it. I will put a (Q) next to things that I can do on my $99 Motorola Q:

No third party software: The first thing many of us do when I get a new computer or phone is load it up with third party software that allows it to do things it will not do "out of the box." Some of these tasks are essential, and some are just nice add-ons, and many are free. As it appears right now, this will not be possible on the iPhone. (Q)

No support for viewing Microsoft Office files or syncing with Outlook. This is going to seriously limit the business uses of this phone. My Q can view office files out of the box, and there is now third party software available that will allow it to edit files. (Q)

Not supporting 3G data networks: People who are spending this much on a phone are going to be expecting to use it for a while. Waiting to provide HSPDA access once the coverage is better is penalizing early adopters for being early adopters. Cingular currently has 3 PDA phones that support HSPDA ranging in price from $199-$399. (Q - My Q supports EVDO)

No user replaceable battery. Again, people who are spending this much on a phone are going to expect to use it for a while. Being without your iPod while it is having its battery replaced is entirely different than being without your cellphone. Treo 300 and 600 users know how inconvenient this can be. (Q)

No connection to iChat. One can only hope this will change. IM is a major reason to get a smartphone. (Q connects to MSN out of the box.)

Cannot download from iTunes directly on the phone. I read this in a Cnet article.

We'll have to wait and see how good the virtual keyboard is. I like the tactile feedback on my Q.

There is a lot to like about this phone. It would be great if it wasn't so expensive. I am sure a lot of users are going to ask if it is really $400 better than the Palm Treo 680 or the Samsung Blackjack. (The Treo has a touch screen and the Blackjack has HSPDA.) And is it $500 better than the Q on Verizon? That is a significant price difference that is more than enough to buy an iPod and a good digital camera.

I guess we will have to wait and see if the "cool" factor is enough to sell the iPhone.

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. It's already helped a few people in my office. A nice way to prevent all the "but, but, but..."'s I hear all day. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
thanks for the link, that was some great info!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
learned a few new things about the iPhone... hehe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.