First Really Dumb Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 1.83/1.5gRam/120gHD
So I hooked up my Mac Mini (1.83 / 120g)last night and proceeded to get lost for the next few hours falling in love with computers all over again. And also connecting to the internet and making sure all applications/OS updates were applied.

Maybe it was the 1am talking or maybe I am just doing it wrong.

I pointed the remote at the front of the Mini and clicked the menu button and nothing happened. Is it because I have to "mount" or install front row. Or maybe I have to marry this remote to this Mini. I did a little research last night - but couldn't figure it out.

Also - how do you pop open the remote to change the battery - I tried the trick in the manual but it won't pop open enough to pull out the battery tray.

Thanks - Dennis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hmm, this seems to be a conundrum. Try restarting your Mac and then giving it a try. Be sure to point toward the IR receiver on the front (I know, duh). Oh, and you're pressing down on it as an actual button and not one of those touch sensitive buttons, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It should work straight off.

Strange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Mine worked right out of the box, didn't have to do anything. I'd check with your supplier and see if you can get a replacement unless they've had this problem and know what may be happening. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
No question is stupid or dumb, switcher or not. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
Try pairing the remote with the Mac:

1. Get relatively close to the Mac(3-4 inches)
2. Point the remote at the infrared port.
3. Press Menu + Next/Fast Forward button for 5 seconds and it should pair.

Reaction score
One thing I've found about this forum is that people never say you asked a dumb question. All I've seen is people taking the time to answer your question, and skipping the flame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
DUMB QUESTION!!! :: points finger::

Just kidding.

I would try holding Command (Open Apple key) and hitting escape. This is the keyboard shortcut into front row. If this gets you into front row, there's something wrong with the remote or IR receiver. If front row still doesn't open, there may be a problem with front row itself.

Reaction score
To open the remote for battey replacement: See that little dimple/dot? Push on it with a pencil tip or something pointy, its a button, and the tray will pop out.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - I am getting somewhere

1. Thanks for all of the insight and assistance - like I said beofre this community is the best.

2. I figured out how to get a the battery on the remote - it is in there so that shouldn't be the issue

3. I used finder to seach for Front Row and I saw two installer packages - so I clicked on the first one and it wanted to install Front Row (so maybe that was the problem , it wasn't installed, and not the remote)

4. The installer gets to the last step then it craps out and says "There were erros installing the software - please try installing again" We I tried 2 more times after re-boots and the same thing. The other Front Row package is an update (213k or so) and that gives the same error as well.

Any ideas on how to get Front Row installed correctly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Since its a new Mini, Front Row is (should be) installed already. Did you try the keyboard shortcut that snoslicer8 posted? Command(Apple) + Esc will bring up Front Row. If that works, and the remote doesn't, I'd say there is a problem with the remote.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update part 2

Command (Open Apple key) and hitting escape did the trick. I was able to open Front Row - so I know it is installed and working.

I still can't get the remote to open Front Row. I tried to pair the remote and nothing happened (Press Menu + Next/Fast Forward button for 5 seconds and it should pair.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The remote might be defective then. I would take it to an Apple store, and have them try it out.

Reaction score
I had to pair my remote with my macbook. I think there is a post above mine that describes what to do. I took a few seconds, and then worked right away. Also, you may want to go into your system preferences, then under security, and make sure that there is no check mark under the 'disable remote control infrared receiver'.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remote

Still no luck pairing. I did check the system / security preferences and made sure the disable remote was unchecked....no change.

I'll try an Apple Store during the week and see if that helps.

Reaction score
If you bring your remote to the apple store, you can try it with other macbooks, as long as it hasn't been paired with another product. If the remote works with another mac, and brings up front row, then it's not the remote it is the computer. Just guessing something weird may have happened with your ir receiver, though I haven't heard any problems with that so far. i would guess it's just something to do with the remote. *shrug* if it doesn't work when you try it, just bring them to the demo model and show that it doesn't work on that and they'll get the remote fixed. I don't remember the procedure to unpair a remote but maybe if you try that, it will work, if for some odd reason it paired itself to another product.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
** Update **

Went into the Michigan Ave (Chicago, IL) Apple store and the assocaite tested the remote out on a few units....nothing.

They replaced the unit with no hassles. Thanks to all.

Now I have some free time to start really playing aorund with this system. Expect some really dumb questions soon as I get into Macs and OSX even more.

Peace, Love and Understaning.
Dennis

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.